Please help me

BrandyBrown

Location (City and/or State)
Kentucky
I do not have a tortoise but I just got a Mayalan box turtle can anyone help .. I red a post from somebody and it completly describes my turtles behavior!! Every detail!!!
I'm so worried taking him to the vet !! I just want him to be ok

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
a little more detail on the behavior is called for we know pretty much nothing from your post details on what's going on how you keep him/her substrate temps humidity diet you feed it etc

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
You've given us nothing to go on.

What's going in with your lil guy

BrandyBrown

Kentucky
Franklins a mayalan box turtle. I got him July 15,2014 and he's semi aquatic.. So I set up half water half land with easy access and little islands in the water ... The water dosent cover his shell completly bec he's a clumsy swimmer... Anyways I have a zoomed inferred heat lamp 100watt... I have this on a dimmer to keep warm... I'm using a zoomed 100 watt day/ basking lamp ... His basking area stays at about 95 in the corner and on the cooler side it's about 80-85 and the humidity stays at 80-90%. When I take him outside and put him on the grass he comea alive! And to let him soak I have a kiddie pool ... He seems to enjoy... He won't eat much of anything since I got him. I've been trying to offer him a variety of items ... Bec I understand that's it's my job to See wht he likes..

BrandyBrown

Kentucky
I bought him from a website and they have a store in Miami Florida, Snakesatsunset.com

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Some times it takes a while for them to get use to you. Turtles and tortoises are creatures of habitt and he is still getting use to you and his new space. As long as you are sure what you are feeding is correct thin is pretty normal.

Camryn

Tampa, FL
I have a tortoise and I don't think I even use a 100watt basking bulb..

Tort-Rex

I'm so sorry for your loss, it's always hard to lose a pet. Just remember that we're always here for you. <3

-Tort-Rex/Colleen

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
What???? OMG! I'm so sorry. Since you had him only a short while, you should contact the seller and see if you can get your money back.

1028762jld543t69m.gif

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
What???? OMG! I'm so sorry. Since you had him only a short while, you should contact the seller and see if you can get your money back.

1028762jld543t69m.gif
Maybe he was sick from before buying, I'd want to know the cause of death :( sad for his loss!

Turtlepete

South Florida
Without seeing pics of your setup and very detailed husbandry, I can tell you this: the first mistake you made was buying from snakesatsunset….I've been to that place…..Wouldn't buy from there. Not as bad as Underground Reptiles, but I still wouldn't call them a good seller. Everything in their store is cramped. Half of their snakes are covered in mites. Just simply NOT a place to buy from. Your boxie was likely a fresh import loaded with parasites.
If you try again, just make sure to buy from a good, reputable breeder. Often hobbyists are much better places to buy from then "businesses". Just check the BOI on Fauna (which is also loaded with Bad Guy threads for SAS)...

BrandyBrown

Kentucky
Well thank u for the info!!
Sucks !! It's so sad what these guys go through and I feel like complete **** participating in the cruel transportation of the little guy!! I've been reading a lot about the tortoises and there all so cute !! I'm jus facionated with all turtles!! I want to try again but gonna wait a little while ! Do it right I want to adopt a turtle!

BrandyBrown

Kentucky
I received him on July 15,2014 and he died I think last night and I didn't want to believe it so I tried to keep him warm.. But he passed! And it's only July 28th ! Very. Mad and upset

Turtlepete

South Florida
Yeah, unless you were doing something VERY wrong (and by that I mean keeping him at something absurd like 60 degrees with 80% humidity….), then he came with problems to begin with. Healthy turtles don't pass that fast. He was likely loaded with parasites. What kind of conditions was he being kept in when you bought him? Was he with other species/turtles?
You should try again. Turtles are very enjoyable animals. Just do the research, get all the information, set them up properly, and buy them from the RIGHT place. There are several good places to buy Malayan boxies/C. amboinensis (what you have) from. Look at sites like Kingsnakes and Faunaclassifieds for sellers. When you find one, post a thread here asking about them. Get all the information you can about the seller. Saves you a lot of heartbreak.

BrandyBrown

Kentucky
Just got off the phone with snakesatsunset! Told them the condition he was in when I got him... He said he's very sorry but he was a wild cought field malayan turtle? He said I could've bought the ones they breed( which I never even new was an option) bec I didn't want to hurt any turtles ! He said I could get a free one .. But I don't want another one from them ! In gonna wait a little while and try again I will deff post pics when it comes time .. But I'm gonna put a pic of what I had him in and please tell me if I killed him :-( I did all my research on the species and his specific subspecies too.

BrandyBrown

Kentucky
image.jpg Instead of the little table thing on the left hand side I had a cave for him to get in an out of

BrandyBrown

Kentucky
image.jpg My dog jus loved him!! When he first came we say and waited for him to come out of his shell ... Now my dog today was laying beside his tank! Like she always does and waits for me to change his light