Newbie turtle owner help

JexRoberts

Location (City and/or State)
Athens, GA
Hello! I recently received my first ever non-mammal friend, a Seram Island Box Turtle. He (I’m honestly not sure) arrived via FedEx in Wednesday. It took a day to get the temperature closer to right in his enclosure. It’s now 80 during the day and 65 at night. He hasn’t eaten since I got him, and I’m worried. I soak him every morning and offer food, but he hasn’t eaten. Not even a live earthworm I brought to him. He just buries himself when I return him and doesn’t move until the next morning. He appears healthy. What can I do to help him?

He’s dirty in these pictures bc I took him out to take a picture just now.

Attachments

• IMG_5110.jpeg
    IMG_5110.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_5111.jpeg
    IMG_5111.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_5112.jpeg
    IMG_5112.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 4

JexRoberts

Athens, GA
Hello! I recently received my first ever non-mammal friend, a Seram Island Box Turtle. He (I’m honestly not sure) arrived via FedEx in Wednesday. It took a day to get the temperature closer to right in his enclosure. It’s now 80 during the day and 65 at night. He hasn’t eaten since I got him, and I’m worried. I soak him every morning and offer food, but he hasn’t eaten. Not even a live earthworm I brought to him. He just buries himself when I return him and doesn’t move until the next morning. He appears healthy. What can I do to help him?

He’s dirty in these pictures bc I took him out to take a picture just now.
I have an XL Reptiramp in the way. He has a basking light and a UVB light, as well as a ceramic heater for night time.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Welcome to you and your turtle. We have some Boxie experts here so you'll soon get help in ensuring his correct setup. Once he is comfortable and set up right, he will start eating. Needs a chance to settle and feel safe. @jeff kushner

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would remove the moss and can be eaten and cause impactions and entanglement.
The pellets should be soaked. The veggies should be chopped a lot smaller, tiny so it's easier for him to eat and can't get stuck in his throat
Be sure the substrate is damp.
Then give him some time to settle into his new home. Keep soaking and offering food.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
I'm not an expert, but are they more aquatic? I have a desert box turtle, more land. @DoubleD1996! Might be able to help

JexRoberts

Athens, GA
I'm not an expert, but are they more aquatic? I have a desert box turtle, more land. @DoubleD1996! Might be able to help
Thanks! You’re right. I initially thought that they were more like Chinese box turtles. I bought a bigger water dish for him that should be here soon. When it gets warmer outside, I’ll make him a shallow pond.

Reactions: Ink

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
Yvonne, Mark, DD all with real talent with Box turtles and I'm just a lucky hack...but anyone who hangs around this place will tell you "think wet" with box turtles.

Many water turtles won't eat outside of the water, so if he belongs in water, you might have to change course

Temps for digestion start at 82-83F and run to high 80's from the stuff I've read. If you cover the tank you have him in, the temps will rise dramatically! Keep a close eye on them and measure on the ground, where he is....it will also capture that all important humidity he needs so badly for good development.

Once you get him warmed up to mid 80's....toss a worm or slug you catch in the yard in front of him...see what he does. If he chooses not to take it, set him in his tub of 80F water and do it again.

good luck

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

methos75

10 Year Member!
Lawrenceville, IL via Walker, LA
Definitely more aquatic than terristrial, especially as babies. I would completely scrap this setup and set it up as a shallow water enclosure with numerous places for it to climb out of the water on.

DoubleD1996!

Memphis
To piggy back on what everyone said, I say give him some time to settle in. However, if you intend to make some changes to his environment, I suggest you do it now since to avoid stress. Use good judgment and settle in on a set up.

Like jeff said, you want to think more of a bog. The moss is fine, in fact you could probably use it alone with a few inches of shallow water and a little more decor.

At this size in the wild, these guys are hiding in little micro climates, under debree in these moist pockets because their shells aren't yet solid bone, and they're on the menu for anything with a mouth.

Box turtles have ferocious appetites once they get settled in, but as of now he needs to decompress. It's natural for them to hide.

When it comes to feeding, movement is key in early stages. So don't stress about veggies at the moment. Worms, dubia crickets, isopodes, it's all a go. Once you settle in on a set up, I say leave him be for a week. Then offer small amount a food then more as he takes it.

I've raised babies in something as simple as this. So dont stress, you'll be fine.20231102_153014.jpg

JexRoberts

Athens, GA
Thanks so much for everyone’s excellent advice! He’s been much more active the last few days. I just redid his enclosure today with much more water. I’m keeping the substrate moist as well. I got an under the tank heater for the warmer side but he still has a cooler area to dig if he wants. There are isopods in his enclosure, so he may be snacking without me knowing. He ate part of a pellet this morning.

Attachments

• IMG_5123.jpeg
    IMG_5123.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_5124.jpeg
    IMG_5124.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_5125.jpeg
    IMG_5125.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_5126.jpeg
    IMG_5126.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
Like jeff said, you want to think more of a bog. The moss is fine, in fact you could probably use it alone with a few inches of shallow water and a little more decor.
i agree...... i've always used sphagnum moss , never had a problem...... my outside pens are all full of moss , i've never seen one eat it ..... sphagnum moss is edible, i believe it has 0 nutritional value, just not something they eat....

100-2165a.jpg

9809e84c-d721-443a-a742-bf450afcd03c.jpg

DSCF2591.jpg
Aviary-Photo-131690845659763054.jpg

DSCF1512.jpg

DSCF0016-2.jpg

DSCF8711-2.jpg

IMG-1306.jpg

IMG-0408.jpg

DSCF7250-2.jpg

JexRoberts

Athens, GA
Great news! Steve the turtle went to town in some worms this morning. He has gotten used to us. Thank you all SO much. I am so relieved. He’s much happier in his bog like enclosure. What kinds of pellets do you recommend? He doesn’t like the ones I have. Thank goodness he loves those worms. Doesn’t seem to like crickets, either. I want to keep his diet varied.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
I feed mine mulberry pellets from kapidolo farm.