please help me identify these flowers !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ADVANceNA

5 Year Member
hey everyone ! havent posted here in a bit, but believe me i have not left !! i was looking for tortoiseforums help in identifying these flowers. now, ive done some digging up myself and believe these to be hibiscus flowers, but im not entirely sure. i believe hibiscus is safe for our torts both the flowers AND the leaves but not 100 percent sure either. i have tons of these growing outside my office building, i asked the day porter if they spray them with pesticide or anything and he said absolutely not, but he was not sure what flowers they were.

for helping me out i have included a pic of einstein looking out the window while on a drive out to my parents house in the desert. he was so fidgety in the box and kept escaping out of the wrap i thought would confine in. so, we just took him out so he can look outside and boy was he calm after that ! seriously, he just kept staring outside and didnt move at all, he was so curious with looking outside while driving !

thanks everyone !

Attachments

• WP_000339.jpg
    WP_000339.jpg
    505.5 KB · Views: 58
  • WP_000338.jpg
    WP_000338.jpg
    362.8 KB · Views: 46
  • SavedPicture (1).jpg
    SavedPicture (1).jpg
    304 KB · Views: 70

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
hibiscus (Hibiscus rosa-sinensis)

Sulcisticus (Sulcisticus rosa bull-dozericus)

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
emysemys said:

Yvonne' hit it right on the nose .......
and YES ....flowers and foilage is great for your torts!

JD~:)

ADVANceNA

5 Year Member
emysemys said:

i totally see what you did there and it brought great humor to my evening ! thanks for the laugh and the help in identifying. i am now super stoked since its a new food to feed and try out.

thanks everyone for the compliments, ill tell einstein tomorrow morning when i wake him up :p

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
emysemys said:

Hehehe! I missed it the first time I read through. You're hilarious. ;)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yep those are hibiscus. The leaves and the flowers are good to feed.

Just a cautionary note: At my mother-in-laws condo complex there are a few good tortoise food plants and weed patches around. I tracked down the "lead man" who was in charge of the gardening staff and asked him if they sprayed any kind of fertilizers, weed killers or pesticides around those areas. I told him my plan of feeding the weeds and stuff to my baby tortoises and he swore to me that they used NO chemicals of any kind due to the children and pets that live there AND, he said, they had no need to anyway as everything was growing very well.

Just a few days later, before I had a chance to grab any weeds to feed, I noticed a guy with one of those pesticide canister backpacks walking all around the whole complex spraying weeds as he walked. A few weeks after that I saw another gardener type broadcasting some granules all over all the grass. The bag in his truck was "weed and feed".

Just know that sometimes they lie. Sometimes they just tell you what you want to hear. Sometimes they just don't know. Sometimes they don't really understand what you are asking due to a language barrier.

Just know that you are taking a risk if you didn't grow it yourself. Those look like really healthy bug free hibiscus plants. Why aren't there some bug eaten holes in some of those leaves?

River14

5 Year Member
Yea they are hibiscus Rosa sinensis. If I were you I would invest in a red one they far prefer for some reason ( :

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I am with Tom on the warning....I did not realize you said they were at your office building....they SHOULD have some traces of bugs of some type....please be careful is all....

FranklinAndTara

5 Year Member
Satellite Beach, Fl
N2TORTS said:
emysemys said:

Yvonne' hit it right on the nose .......
and YES ....flowers and foilage is great for your torts!

JD~:)
Hilarious Yvonne

The First picture looks different because its a "double" hibiscus.... i dont know the super duper scientificky name like the rest of us! ;) I snag the flowers off my neighbors bushes... a good rule of thumb... hibiscus are sweet and will usually have sugar ants in the flower... no ants? Dont feed them to your tortie! good luck!

wrmitchell22

5 Year Member
Southeast Arizona
Tom said:
Yep those are hibiscus. The leaves and the flowers are good to feed.

Just a cautionary note: At my mother-in-laws condo complex there are a few good tortoise food plants and weed patches around. I tracked down the "lead man" who was in charge of the gardening staff and asked him if they sprayed any kind of fertilizers, weed killers or pesticides around those areas. I told him my plan of feeding the weeds and stuff to my baby tortoises and he swore to me that they used NO chemicals of any kind due to the children and pets that live there AND, he said, they had no need to anyway as everything was growing very well.

Just a few days later, before I had a chance to grab any weeds to feed, I noticed a guy with one of those pesticide canister backpacks walking all around the whole complex spraying weeds as he walked. A few weeks after that I saw another gardener type broadcasting some granules all over all the grass. The bag in his truck was "weed and feed".

Just know that sometimes they lie. Sometimes they just tell you what you want to hear. Sometimes they just don't know. Sometimes they don't really understand what you are asking due to a language barrier.

Just know that you are taking a risk if you didn't grow it yourself. Those look like really healthy bug free hibiscus plants. Why aren't there some bug eaten holes in some of those leaves?

Maybe it is my career that makes me this way, but I am awful and mostly assume people lie a lot! I totally agree if you don't grow it yourself you never can tell.

emysemys said:

Lol! I have one of those!;)

ADVANceNA

5 Year Member
thanks thanks everyone for the concern about these hibiscus plants and them possibly having pesticide on them ! i will be happy to check out for sure and really drill for the truth. the doctor i work with actually owns the building so ill just ask him directly, thanks everyone !!

Roxie

5 Year Member
Central FL
For some reason bugs love hibiscus. My backyard is pesticide free and I have four adult hibiscus and three young hibiscus. They are always a target for ants, aphids, grasshoppers, spriders, and white flies. The ones on commercial property always look much fuller, have more flowers, and no bugs. :) And they have contracted lawn companies that at a minimum would apply fertilizer.

Status
Not open for further replies.