flowers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DAC8671

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
San Diego CA
Somewhere there was a list of flowers that are okay for sullys to eat. I can't find it. I'm getting ready to plant a flower garden and want to make sure Ralph will be safe.

I remember reading that marigolds are safe. I gave him one yesterday but he wanted nothing to do with it. I have a hibiscus plant in his enclosure, but no blooms yet. I will be planting some green leafy lettuce and once it's grown, I plan to just let him graze for about an hour every few days in there (not every day).

He's not big on rose petals. My sister in law is going to bring over some grape leaves from her vine to see if he likes those. So far, he's super content with just the grass and clover in the backyard. I do give him spring mix, but he's been eating more grass/clover than spring mix. My son will go to the field behind our house and pick the dandelion flowers (his favorite). He doesn't care much for the weed, though.

What else???

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I use marigold to discourage insect pests, so I wouldn't think it would be very appetizing to eat. Mulberry leaves, grape leaves, rose of sharon (both the plant and the flower). I know that roses are supposed to be good to feed them, but whenever I offer one of my tortoises a beautiful rose flower, they always turn their nose up at it.

Yvonne

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Here's a few...I'm sure there are more:

Grape leaves
gazania
Hollyhock flowers and leaves
rose petals
Desert primrose
desert willow
catalpa

Yvonne

M

Maggie Cummings

Bob loves rose petals, I have 15 Rose bushes and he eats all the different colors, and Rose of Sharon I have 2 of them for him, and several day lily bushes. He loves the flower that comes on the pumpkin vine. Every spring I plant several pumpkin seeds just for the bloom. Dandelion is almost the state flower and he eats the weed and the flowers. I walk around my neighborhood and collect all kinds of stuff to feed him. Up the street is a giant grape vine and he eats the leafs from them all summer. I am really glad that he will eat anything. I think he is really healthy. Today at 4PM I thought it was warm enough to let Bob outside for the first time in almost 7 months. So I filled up his water hole. It's just a mud hole and the next time I looked Bob was sitting in the middle of that waterhole slinging mud up onto his back. His face was all wet and he was having a good ole time. Later when I looked out he was on his back doing that flipper thing, so I went running out there...it really upsets me to see him upside down. He didn't move for a few minutes after I tipped him back over. I'm not sure who was more upset, him or me...he tipped over in a corner I didn't round the corner off instead of having it square

drgnfly2265

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
FLORIDA
I can't find dandelions anywhere here in Florida. I have searched all over and can't find them here :(

Jamie

1 Sulcata (Bowser)

www.myspace.com/bowsertortoise

:rolleyes:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
drgnfly2265 said:
I can't find dandelions anywhere here in Florida. I have searched all over and can't find them here :(

Jamie

Those Floridians who crave a well-manicured and sculptured lawn probably say, "Thank you Lawn God!"

Yvonne

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I can't wait until someday I can have a lawn and let it overgrow with weeds for torts! And, plant some flowers and greens.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Jamie, your going to have to break down and buy some online so you can share with your neighbors. ;) :p

Status
Not open for further replies.