Please help, juvenile eastern box turtle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

animal_lvr

5 Year Member
Hey Guys,
I have attached two photos and I am wondering does my turtle look normal & healthy? He has a "line" on both sizes of his carapace. I wasn't sure if this was a growth ring or if this is an indication that something isn't right. Can anyone help me please?

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_3205.JPG
    IMG_3205.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 105
  • IMG_3213.JPG
    IMG_3213.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 90

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Are you referring to the "skirt" line all around the bottom of the dome scutes???? If so that looks all aok to me.....

But wait round for folks who house and care for these guys....:D

animal_lvr

5 Year Member
Yes, that is what I am referring to. I don't know if I am just being paranoid, I hope so. Also, does anyone know how much he should weigh at this size?

Nixxy

5 Year Member
New Hampshire
Doesn't look out of the ordinary at all.

Each shell is unique, gotta remember.

But honestly, your turt looks quite healthy, honestly.

Has it always been there or is it just a recent thing developing?

animal_lvr

5 Year Member
This is a recent thing that showed up this month. Looking back at pictures I have it looks like the "line" has gotten wider. Almost like it's new growth, however, you can tell by the pic that the "line" is lighter than the rest of his shell. That's what has me concerned. Does that mean he is deficient in something? He is little by the way, I would have to measure him to be exact but he's probably 2-2 1/2 inches long.

Thank you everyone for you responses. If I am not doing something right I would like to make the correct changes ASAP.

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
Hello, What you are seeing is simply new growth. It's almost always a different color until the pattern decides which color it will be. That could take a year or longer. It will appear between all the scutes.

animal_lvr

5 Year Member
Ok, thank you so much! This is my first turtle (as you can probably tell) and I just wanted to make sure he was doing ok. This is great news! I am kind of attahed to him :)

Status
Not open for further replies.