Please Help - Is this normal!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AmyH-UK

5 Year Member
Hi all

I am new here I have a horsefields tortoise who is roughly 4years old! (I have had him since September 2007 and was told he was around 18months although I think he could have been a little older)

I refer to him as a he, although when I took him to the vets once (just for a check up) they said they thought he may be a SHE!! I know you cannot be sure until they are older!

On Sunday he had been outside (as it is such nice weather) when he came back in he was in his tank and all of a sudden he stood up on all fours and made his legs almost completely straight! Then something came out of him, I was really worried! I can only descirbe it as a little like a trunk - but much darker!

It was only out for about 30-60 seconds and then went straight back in! I looked straight on the net as I was worried it could be some sort of prolapse, however I did find a coupld of pics of a tortoise penis and it did look very, very similar! But I just thought he (and I thought he was a she) wouldn't be old enought to do this yet??!

I said if it happens again I would take him vets, it has happened again tonight (that I have seen ovb) and went back in much quicker tonight (it really is quite big) but I don't want to panic and run straight to the vets and thought I would ask on here first!

I would have got a pic but I couldn't as it went back in to quickly, I hope someone can help as I am really worried about him/her!

He/she has been eating normally and going to the toilet ok - I didn't see him go to the toilet the same time as it happened tonight, however on sunday both 'movements' were quite close together!

Sorry for the long post - looking forward to your replies and joining this forum!

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
It sounds like what you saw was the equivalent of a tortoise penis. Based on your description, it's doubtful that it's a female.
It is not uncommon for males to stretch and extend their organ. They will often expel wastes while doing so too. If it retracted on it's own there is no prolapse.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
It sounds like you were "flashed"

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
Yes, you were "flashed".