I NEED HELP (tortoise flipping)

Josie.123

Location (City and/or State)
England
I have just got my tortoise (a 1 year old Herman) he went straight into his enclosure when I got home and has been exploring for a while now but won’t stop climbing on things and flipping on his back, I don’t know what to do as now I don’t want to leave him. HELP!!

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
check your temps first. make sure its not too hot in there. also, remove some of the hazards for now. let him get acclimated for a bit.

Post pictures of your setup

TisMary

New York
I have just got my tortoise (a 1 year old Herman) he went straight into his enclosure when I got home and has been exploring for a while now but won’t stop climbing on things and flipping on his back, I don’t know what to do as now I don’t want to leave him. HELP!!
Hi @Josie.123 - can you post some pictures of your setup? Would like to see what he's climbing on, etc.

tortoiseton

Austin, Texas
Little guy is fast asleep now but here is my set up
What is he flipping on? I've seen in some other threads people suggest digging the hide a little deeper into the substrate and then just digging out an area under the hide so that the outside of the hide is not as high and easy to flip on.

TisMary

New York
Little guy is fast asleep now but here is my set up
Thanks for the picture @Josie.123. What a cutie! It looks like you've put a lot of effort into making him a nice home!

Others with more experience than I will hopefully chime in, but it looks to me like he can get right up to the top of the enclosure in a number of places. If you haven't actually seen him tip over, it's a little difficult to say where, but generally, if he can see out, he's gonna wanna get out. That's probably what he's trying to do and he gets only so far and falls over. I'd start by moving things he can climb on away from the sides. Any way to make the sides taller?

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Flipping is a massive issue when young . I had to remove climbing apparatus Inc hides for first 6 month and then introduce lower height items. Once they get bigger gravity sets in but they can still tumble. They are escape artists so 2 things happening..... 1.How can I get out of here 2. what is this new place.
Please read care sheet and make sure you provide a water dish with fresh water twice a day ideally terracotta that they can walk into 24x7 and also fresh green leaves in the morning left in all day so they can graze and also substrate they can burrow in. Good luck and ask questions.

GSM

London
Tortoises tend to patrol the perimeter. Moving objects may help. But true advice has been given: if the wall is low enough, they'll try to climb.

idcowden

Walton-on-Thames
If he does flip, don't panic and immediately turn him the right way up. Unless he is really close to the lamp, watch him for 5 to 10 minutes. If he is still struggling to turn, place your fingers or an object near his feet that he can push on. He needs to learn to right himself whilst he is young. Watching them flip back over is amazing.