Please help is this a true Cherryhead ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Alhambra, CA
Can anyone tell me if this is a true Cherryhead or not? The picture quality is not very good I know.

Cherry head 3.JPG
Cherry head 1.JPG
Cherry head 2.JPG
Cherry head 4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

tortguy521

5 Year Member
RE: Cherryhead ?

Looks like a normal redfoot to me but im not positive.

Bryan

10 Year Member!
I believe that it is or at least it does have cherryhead blood in it.

Bryan

10 Year Member!
tortguy521 said:
Dont cherryheads have a more darker red while redfoots have orange.

Cherryheads can also be orange.

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
It is a female as well, right? It looks female to me, and I know that is what Candy is looking for. What's this animal's SCL?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
From what little I know of redfoots, I would say no but I can not say for sure 100%.

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
Hard to say from the photos---the plastron color and pattern look right but the differing head and leg colors do not.
There have been a few captive breeders lately who have either intentionally or accidentally bred cherryheads with northerns or Colombian redfoots. Then, they further confuse things by calling the offspring cherryheads (or Brazilian bloodline) if they have dark pattern along the plastron seams. But the animals are NOT desireable (to me anyway) as they just create confusion among keepers as to what they are.
The same thing happened with boa keepers who started breeding Amazon Basin redtails with Colombian boas. Now, there are all kinds of mutts on the market with little or no clarity as to what they are.
I would pass on it.

llamas55

5 Year Member
Northfield, MN
Yes: I am still looking for a 4-6" straight line measurement thingee CH redfoot, and one place in Washington has a plain redfoot I like, with the symmetrical head markings, and the sibling is listed (same exact parents) as a cherry head altho the one I like isn't listed that way. Wish I could see photos of parents, which they listed the breeding name/number of.

Bryan

10 Year Member!
cdmay said:
Hard to say from the photos---the plastron color and pattern look right but the differing head and leg colors do not.
There have been a few captive breeders lately who have either intentionally or accidentally bred cherryheads with northerns or Colombian redfoots. Then, they further confuse things by calling the offspring cherryheads (or Brazilian bloodline) if they have dark pattern along the plastron seams. But the animals are NOT desireable (to me anyway) as they just create confusion among keepers as to what they are.
The same thing happened with boa keepers who started breeding Amazon Basin redtails with Colombian boas. Now, there are all kinds of mutts on the market with little or no clarity as to what they are.
I would pass on it.

That's what threw me off as well Carl. I also 100% agree that crossing Cherryheads and Northerns isn't doing anyone any kind of favors as they aren't as nice as a pure cherryhead and are being sold under a false name. If anyone has these animals, I would ask that they keep them as pets but don't breed them or at least let people know that they are crosses.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Thank you everyone for your input. Meg she's a she from what I can see. She measures 5 plus inches. :)

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
I'm agreeing with everyone :D It doesn't look pure Cherryhead to me either. It also doesn't look female :p It's looking young male to me.

Danny

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Oh I'm shocked. I thought I had it this time. I was definitely thinking that she was a she. Wow! Back to the learning table. :D Thank all of you for your help. I so appreciate it. I'm actually now just thinking about studding Dale out. I really don't want eggs so if one of you out there wants eggs let Dale know. :p Any takers? Of course we'll have to wait for a while because Carl says that Dale in still like a little kid. :)

allegraf

10 Year Member!
That tort looks like it is a mix. I agree that we should try to keep the torts breeding from the same locale. It is a dirty trick when people sell the mutts as cherryheads. It is like selling labordoodles as a pure bred dog. Not that I have anything against mutts (since I have one), but it is false advertising that preys on the people who may not know what they are buying.

This is also what makes it hard for the real orange or any other shade of cherryheads to be taken seriously. Cherryheads may have some variation in colors on their heads. For example, a red head with yellow swirls around the nostrils or eyes, but the legs usually match the dominant color on the head. The variations are usually a VERY small percentage of the color on the head and the dominant color is pretty obvious. That one's head colors vary way too much to be a full cherryhead. It's cute though.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Man I hate to disagree with Carl and Dan! Consider this for what it is worth- both those guys have done this longer than me.

I'm going to say that it is a Grand Chaco or maybe Amazonia Red-foot. It really looks like a 'Southerner' to me- dark plastron, elbow scale, etc. without the head colors associated with 'cherryheads'. Gand Chaco Red-foots tend to get large, and males do not get the wasp waist.

As for sex- it shows no indentation, has a very small tail, has a tight angle on the two anal scutes, and a very small anal gap between the points of the anal scutes and marginals. These are signs of a female in Red-foots as far as I know. At 5", though, it is still a bit young to be sure.

Bryan

10 Year Member!
Madkins007 said:
Man I hate to disagree with Carl and Dan! Consider this for what it is worth- both those guys have done this longer than me.

I'm going to say that it is a Grand Chaco or maybe Amazonia Red-foot. It really looks like a 'Southerner' to me- dark plastron, elbow scale, etc. without the head colors associated with 'cherryheads'. Gand Chaco Red-foots tend to get large, and males do not get the wasp waist.

As for sex- it shows no indentation, has a very small tail, has a tight angle on the two anal scutes, and a very small anal gap between the points of the anal scutes and marginals. These are signs of a female in Red-foots as far as I know. At 5", though, it is still a bit young to be sure.

It COULD be, but I don't think so Mark, the owner would know that it was a Gran Chaco as they are faster growing than the other types of RF's and they are usually more expensive as well. Also I haven't seen a Gran Chaco with that much varying color on the head. I've seen redish, orangeish, and different shades but not what I see on this tort. IMO the most likely scenario sees it as a cross between a Northern and a Cherryhead.

Status
Not open for further replies.