Please help! Is my redfoot tortoise sick?

Hello,

My baby was bought from petco on Jan 17 and is about 6 inch long.
The temperature is 80 degree and humidity is around 70 (I use humidifier).
I feed him every two days with romaine lettuce and rep-cal tortoise food. He eats a little (half lettuce leaf or 5 rep0cal). He is not active and sleeps almost all day. Here are some pictures of him and poops. Is he sick now? Please give me some advice.
IMG_20150124_213237.jpg

20F77FC0-23B3-4E1D-8E1F-0862ADF95717.jpg
D8BEA4EB-DE9C-43E9-86BE-B8C28301507C.jpg

G-stars

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
What are your four temps: warm side, cool side, basking, and night? Also I would offer food everyday and a lot more variety.

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
The stool doesn't look normal to me. Although I have never seen my tortoises with parasites, I believe that's what your seeing there. Wait until someone else confirms that.

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
Basking temperature is around 90.
What is the food you suggest?

Just a few of the top of my head are: hibiscus
Opuntia cactus
Mulberry
Grape vine leaves

All kind of weeds
Thistle
Mallow
White clover
The list is sooo long. I'll look for a complete list of edible weeds.

Mazuri pellets.

This is just a short list. I'll find a complete list and link you to it.

Just a few of the top of my head are: hibiscus
Opuntia cactus
Mulberry
Grape vine leaves

All kind of weeds
Thistle
Mallow
White clover
The list is sooo long. I'll look for a complete list of edible weeds.

Mazuri pellets.

This is just a short list. I'll find a complete list and link you to it.
Thank you so much!!!!

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
Hello. Your tortoises should have food offered to him everyday in my opinion. He needs variety. Variety is the key for successful feeding. Dark leafy greens such as dandelions, mustard, kale, collards, and escarole, endive, spring mix are to name some lettuces. Fruit should be offered occasionally too: strawberries, raspberries, kiwi, papaya, mangos, and peaches are to name a few. They can eat cactus pads, flowers and leaves as noted by G-stars. They can also eat mazuri. What kind of lighting do you use in your torts enclosure? His feces looks very odd. I'm not sure what to say on that. Someone with more experience will help you. I hope your baby gets his appetite back.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Hello,

My baby was bought from petco on Jan 17 and is about 6 inch long.
The temperature is 80 degree and humidity is around 70 (I use humidifier).
I feed him every two days with romaine lettuce and rep-cal tortoise food. He eats a little (half lettuce leaf or 5 rep0cal). He is not active and sleeps almost all day. Here are some pictures of him and poops. Is he sick now? Please give me some advice.
IMG_20150124_213237.jpg

20F77FC0-23B3-4E1D-8E1F-0862ADF95717.jpg
D8BEA4EB-DE9C-43E9-86BE-B8C28301507C.jpg

The tortoise is still new to the new enclosure....I would be sure to never let the temps (day and night) ever fall below 80-83 degrees, especially if you are keeping the ENTIRE enclosure at the high humidity (yes, this is a humidity loving species, but they also need an opportunity to move to dry location to allow their shell and body in its entirety to dry out from time to time)....what type of substrate are you using? I would also use a good organic spring mix as the base and then add additional items to the base.....also, it won't hurt to get a fresh sample to your local reptile vet to confirm the parasite count/type---remember, some is fine, it is just the excessive count that can present a problem....cute little tort...

Hello. Your tortoises should have food offered to him everyday in my opinion. He needs variety. Variety is the key for successful feeding. Dark leafy greens such as dandelions, mustard, kale, collards, and escarole, endive, spring mix are to name some lettuces. Fruit should be offered occasionally too: strawberries, raspberries, kiwi, papaya, mangos, and peaches are to name a few. They can eat cactus pads, flowers and leaves as noted by G-stars. They can also eat mazuri. What kind of lighting do you use in your torts enclosure? His feces looks very odd. I'm not sure what to say on that. Someone with more experience will help you. I hope your baby gets his appetite back.
Thank you so much. I may take him to see the vet first.

The tortoise is still new to the new enclosure....I would be sure to never let the temps (day and night) ever fall below 80-83 degrees, especially if you are keeping the ENTIRE enclosure at the high humidity (yes, this is a humidity loving species, but they also need an opportunity to move to dry location to allow their shell and body in its entirety to dry out from time to time)....what type of substrate are you using? I would also use a good organic spring mix as the base and then add additional items to the base.....also, it won't hurt to get a fresh sample to your local reptile vet to confirm the parasite count/type---remember, some is fine, it is just the excessive count that can present a problem....cute little tort...
Thank you so much! I may take him to the vet first.

Tortshort

I would suggest deworming your redfoot. My friend had purchased one from another pet store and hers was loaded with worms, otherwise have your veterinarian test for worms and that will require you bring in a sample of poop to them.

newCH

5 Year Member
So.FL
I know I am fairly new with torts, but the first pic is of urates only
& and the second is with urates and feces.
For a redfoot, it would be bad if the urates were white and chalky
like a russian tort. The urates can change color depending on diet also. I am sure some one else will chime in to help.

newCH

5 Year Member
So.FL
When you mention him not eating well, try temproarily not putting the supplement & see if he eats better. My Seldon would approach
the food and barely eat when I added supplement. He has a cuttlebone all the time & I wait until its a protein or fruit day to
hide the supplement. Easier to hide in a bit of tuna or chopped mango.

newCH

5 Year Member
So.FL
Almost forgot, your tort is very handsome. The shell looks nice also !!!

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
I don't believe Redfoots should excrete urates.

How often do you soak your tortoise? I agree with the above about giving your tortoise a more varied diet.

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Please note that your tortoise is a fruit eating species and also requires protein. The care sheet linked above will help you a lot!