Please help in saving these reptiles and their skins (video)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Alhambra, CA
I am posting what is happening to reptiles in the fashion industry. I tried to watch this video but could not get through even a minute of it. The reason that I'm posting it is so you can help pass on the message to others not to support this industry. I do believe that when people buy things that are made of reptile skins they don't even consider how it is done. I know that I didn't think about it myself until I was sent this video. This is what happens to these animals when there is high demand. If you have any negative comments about PETA then please by all means stay off of my thread because that is not what I'm looking for here. This is not a debatable topic to me. It is just a sad one. I couldn't even believe what I was seeing.

https://secure.peta.org/site/Advoca...ogin=true&JServSessionIdr004=izvdzwuri4.app33

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I am not commenting on PETA but how will this help the animals?

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Ugh that's disgusting. I don't know why I'm still surprised at how shitty people are.
In high school I gave a speech on the fur industry, and another on bullfighting. Horrible.

TylerStewart

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV.
Just so I understand the criteria, if we agree with PETA, we can post here, but if we think they're a bunch of lying idiots / eco terrorists, we can't?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
No I think she is reffering just to this thread since it is her's she gets to decide the rules of it. You can post your own thread about peta and then clarify the rules for posting on that thread.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
I think that Candy simply isn't looking for any PETA discussion on this thread.
Lots of people have strong feelings towards them and can't help commenting, but I don't think discussing PETA is what she was looking for when she created this thread.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Yes Katie that's exactly it. What you see on the video is real whether you agree with PETA or not. If you can make it through the video is up to you, I could not. Dmmj, I posted this so it can be passed on to people who buy alligator items or snake items or lizard items in the industry and so on and so on. A lot of people don't realize that in the industry these animals are killed this way. I'm not saying that the whole industry is like this, but this video shows a dirty side of it. I want to show it to as many people as possible so that we are aware that this kind of thing happens. Just as the fur industry has been hurt by public awareness I think that it's crucial to make aware the horrible deaths these animals suffer. That's all.

I'm sorry I thought that I had posted the right link when I posted the thread, but here it is if you want to watch it. It takes a few seconds to pop up.

http://www.petatv.com/tvpopup/Prefs.asp?video=cold-blooded_horrors_peta

TylerStewart

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV.
So per the request by Candy (Please help in saving these reptiles and their skins), being someone who wouldn't be caught dead in animal skins (mostly because I think it's tacky fashion from the 80's), what would you like me to do to save the reptiles? I can stop buying it.... Or.... Well, I don't really anyways.... And probably nobody in this forum does. Just trying to understand the intent of the OP. There's an ugly side to literally everything on earth.

One thing I'm sure of, I produce a lot more animals than I kill. Which also gets me in trouble in different ways. I just can't win.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Sad a pathetic Candy. I understand completely. It's the same with everything...we think that if people would stop buying...they would eventually stop producing. I have been sent a load of tapes like this and I can't get through them either. It just never ends.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
TylerStewart said:
So per the request by Candy (Please help in saving these reptiles and their skins), being someone who wouldn't be caught dead in animal skins (mostly because I think it's tacky fashion from the 80's), what would you like me to do to save the reptiles? I can stop buying it.... Or.... Well, I don't really anyways.... And probably nobody in this forum does. Just trying to understand the intent of the OP. There's an ugly side to literally everything on earth.

One thing I'm sure of, I produce a lot more animals than I kill. Which also gets me in trouble in different ways. I just can't win.

Why can't you win Tyler you don't skin your animals alive right? I take it you didn't watch the video that I posted? Yes if you do buy these then stop and if you don't then that's great they won't be getting any money from you and that's what this is all about "Money". Please if you could pass on the site so that the people who do buy these things can see how they get some of the skin that would be great. Awareness that's what we need to get out to the public and I do realize there are people who would wear it anyways, but there's not much that you can do about that kind of horrid person. There are ugly sides to everything on earth that's why we stick together in humanity and spread the word so we can stop some of it.

terryo said:
Sad a pathetic Candy. I understand completely. It's the same with everything...we think that if people would stop buying...they would eventually stop producing. I have been sent a load of tapes like this and I can't get through them either. It just never ends.

Terry isn't it the hardest thing to watch? I couldn't do it it made me sick to my stomach. It's obviously done because it shows it on here.

Tortuga_terrestre said:
WOW! that was graphic. Very sad. Humans exploit nature way too much.

Sorry Walter I know that it is graphic and probably should have warned people. It is very sad indeed. There's a lot of disgusting human being out there. :(

TylerStewart

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV.
Candy said:
Why can't you win Tyler you don't skin your animals alive right? I take it you didn't watch the video that I posted? Yes if you do buy these then stop and if you don't then that's great they won't be getting any money from you and that's what this is all about "Money". Please if you could pass on the site so that the people who do buy these things can see how they get some of the skin that would be great. Awareness that's what we need to get out to the public and I do realize there are people who would wear it anyways, but there's not much that you can do about that kind of horrid person. There are ugly sides to everything on earth that's why we stick together in humanity and spread the word so we can stop some of it.

Yes I did watch the video - I saw the same one or a similar one 10 years ago. I just can't win because: I produce animals, which used to be a good thing. Then a few bleeding hearts think there's an overpopulation of them, so it turns into a bad thing. It's not a debate for this forum, but it is what it is. It's like the 4" turtle law.... They want you to stop importing tortoises from the wild, but then they (the govt) won't let you sell the babies that you produce (which are always under 4", at least for some amount of time). The wild caughts come in right at 4", so it's an easy thing to sell and stay within the law. If they cared that much about the wild populations, they would stop forcing local pet stores to buy from the wild population. For the record, these laws and regulation are almost always made by democrats.

Fortunately, I think the people that buy reptile skins in the US is dwindling fast. It was obviously much more popular in the 80s, which is probably when much of that was fimed. There are still farms doing this (probably not any in the US), and I'm sure that just like other livestock processing, it is mostly done in a humane way. All it takes is some bozo with a camera in Indonesia to film this in it's worse case scenario, get it into the hands of people like PETA, who hires some out of work celebrity in an attempt to add credibility to their cause, and everyone thinks it's happening down the street from their house.

Let me know if you want to hear how I really feel :)

chadk

10 Year Member!
In many countries, reptiles are just another food source. I was not able to watch the whole video, as it kept freezing up, but some of the parts I saw showed a dead animal being 'skinned alive', but clearly it was just the nerves that can continue to cause movement for quite some time after death (head removed, heart stopped, etc). In fact, many reptiles utilize a mechanism that causes lots of movement in a body part (usually the tail) to move quite violently when detached, so the predator focuses attention on the tail, giving the other, living part, a chance to survive.

As for the clips of the alligator farms, I was only able to see a few seconds of it, but keep this in mind:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mississippi_Alligator

Endangered species recovery

Historically, alligators were depleted from many parts of their range as a result of market hunting and loss of habitat, and 30 years ago many people believed their population would never recover. In 1967, the alligator was listed as an endangered species (under a law that preceded the Endangered Species Act of 1973), meaning it was considered in danger of extinction throughout all or a significant portion of its range.

A combined effort by the United States Fish and Wildlife Service, state wildlife agencies in the South, and the creation of large, commercial alligator farms were instrumental in aiding the American alligator's recovery. The Endangered Species Act outlawed alligator hunting, allowing the species to rebound in numbers in many areas where it had been depleted. As the alligator began to make a comeback, states established alligator population monitoring programs and used this information to ensure alligator numbers continued to increase. In 1987, the Fish and Wildlife Service pronounced the American alligator fully recovered and consequently removed the animal from the list of endangered species. The Fish and Wildlife Service still regulates the legal trade in alligator skins and products made from them.

Farming
Main article: Alligator farm
Alligator farming is a big and growing industry in Georgia, Florida, Texas and Louisiana. These states produce a combined annual total of some 45,000 alligator hides. Alligator hides bring good prices and hides in the 6 to 7 feet (1.8 to 2.1 m) range have sold for $300 each, though the price can fluctuate considerably from year to year. The market for alligator meat is growing and approximately 300,000 pounds (140,000 kg) of meat is produced annually. According to the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services, raw alligator meat contains roughly 200 calories (840 kJ) per 3 ounces (85 g) serving size, of which 27 calories (130 kJ) come from fat.[22]

Alligator meat is sometimes used in jambalayas, soups, and stew.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
TylerStewart said:
Candy said:

Yes I did watch the video - I saw the same one or a similar one 10 years ago. I just can't win because: I produce animals, which used to be a good thing. Then a few bleeding hearts think there's an overpopulation of them, so it turns into a bad thing. It's not a debate for this forum, but it is what it is. It's like the 4" turtle law.... They want you to stop importing tortoises from the wild, but then they (the govt) won't let you sell the babies that you produce (which are always under 4", at least for some amount of time). The wild caughts come in right at 4", so it's an easy thing to sell and stay within the law. If they cared that much about the wild populations, they would stop forcing local pet stores to buy from the wild population. For the record, these laws and regulation are almost always made by democrats.

Fortunately, I think the people that buy reptile skins in the US is dwindling fast. It was obviously much more popular in the 80s, which is probably when much of that was fimed. There are still farms doing this (probably not any in the US), and I'm sure that just like other livestock processing, it is mostly done in a humane way. All it takes is some bozo with a camera in Indonesia to film this in it's worse case scenario, get it into the hands of people like PETA, who hires some out of work celebrity in an attempt to add credibility to their cause, and everyone thinks it's happening down the street from their house.

Let me know if you want to hear how I really feel :)

I'm hoping you're right and that it's not happening. I still passed it on through my email although most people won't watch it because they don't want to be bothered. Tyler do you really think that Pamela Anderson is a has been?

TylerStewart

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV.
Candy said:
Tyler do you really think that Pamela Anderson is a has been?

LOL, absolutely. Just because Pam was on "Dancing with the Stars" doesn't mean she's a celebrity anymore. What has she ever done that she was acually a good actress in? Since Baywatch (not that she was a good actress on that show), I can't think of anything. I think we all know why she is who she is (I won't clarify as this is a family forum), which makes her a perfect candidate for PETA ads.

Additionally, in the video, they showed a gutted-animal's heart still beating on the table. This doesn't mean the animal was still alive and knowing what was going on. When I was salmon fishing in Alaska last year we would club them on the heads the second we decided to keep them, and when gutting them hours later, their hearts were still moving around (beating?).

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
TylerStewart said:
Candy said:
Tyler do you really think that Pamela Anderson is a has been?

LOL, absolutely. Just because Pam was on "Dancing with the Stars" doesn't mean she's a celebrity anymore. What has she ever done that she was acually a good actress in? Since Baywatch (not that she was a good actress on that show), I can't think of anything. I think we all know why she is who she is (I won't clarify as this is a family forum), which makes her a perfect candidate for PETA ads.

Additionally, in the video, they showed a gutted-animal's heart still beating on the table. This doesn't mean the animal was still alive and knowing what was going on. When I was salmon fishing in Alaska last year we would club them on the heads the second we decided to keep them, and when gutting them hours later, their hearts were still moving around (beating?).

You said Celebrity not actress and actually that's all in the eye of the beholder anyway. You say she's nothing but a lot of other people have made her very wealthy so it's all in your own opinion I guess. The video showed a lizard that had part of it's neck cut still taking gasps of air did you not see that? Don't try to downplay the video. I know what I'm seeing. I guess it might make some of you feel better if you see only what you want to see.

TylerStewart

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV.
Celebrity, actress, it's all the same to me. I just meant she's never been productive or acted well, that's all. Anyone that has been on TV first, has large breasts, and then shows enough skin can become popular, which I guess translates into celebrity and then gets you signed with PETA for the shock and awe campaign. There's lots of people with lots of money that have never really accomplished anything.

I saw the video, and I would never suggest that hasn't happened - obviously it's right there on the video. I would also never suggest it hasn't happened to probably every type of animal out there for multiple reasons. I just said that in the large majority of the time it's done in a more humane way, and that the video likely wasn't filmed in the US. All it takes is 60 seconds worth of it happening somewhere at some time to get PETA all excited about it. I wonder if all the dogs and cats they killed last year were put down in a more humane way. It was something like 97% of the animals they had taken in that got put down, after all. If they spent their millions of dollars on actually taking care of animals instead of preaching to us all not to keep them, we wouldn't have homeless animals.

chadk

10 Year Member!
The lizard with the head cut off was just nerves. It was not gasping for breath. In fact, the video looks to be edited. But even if it wasn't, clearly the head is cutt off severing the spine down through the throat and juglar. Nothing holding on but skin basically.

I'm not suggesting that they are treating the animals well or anything. Just pointing out that for those who have not been around actual death in any animal may not understand what they are seeing.

Most of us have heard the expression "like a chicken with it's head cut off"... Well, that is what I was seeing in that video. Creatures that were dead, but still moving. Chickens can even continue to make sounds after the head is removed if you don't remove the vocal box with the head. Just nerves, adrenaline, etc still firing for a a few minutes. Skinning a snake that is still moving like that is not the same as skinning a snake 'alive'. It is dead. The head is removed, so the body will not be able to 'feel' any pain, it is just moving because a snake is essentially just one long nervous system.

http://www.tehachapinews.com/node/8905

"Alden said that if you do kill a rattlesnake by decapitation, the head should be buried immediately. She said that the nervous system continues to work up to 30 minutes after death and the head is still capable of inflicting a wound even though it is severed from the body."

Yourlocalpoet

5 Year Member
Yorkshire, United Kingdom
I don't wear reptile skins, or leather, I think the only person who looks good in crocodile skin is Paul Hogan.
The video isn't very nice though, where's Pamela Anderson, did I watch the wrong thing?

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I'm not sure what the intent of the video is, but I think videos like this only encourage people who are already against animal cruelty in any form (nothing wrong with that). This is just my opinion and I don't have any statistics to back this up, but I don't think the US has a terrible problem with the type of abuse that is happening in the video.

Having lived in a country where the actions of the people in the video would be considered acceptable, I just can't see the message having any type of effect on them. It's just a way of life for those people; Not that that makes it right. If this message was shared with them it would fall on deaf ears.

Status
Not open for further replies.