Please help eastern box

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpadams555

5 Year Member
ImageUploadedByTortForum1376607759.989880.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1376607772.746202.jpg
I noticed a lump between his leg and head with a open hole no idea what it is if you have any ideas please post if anyother info is needed let me know

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
That might be the hole of a bot fly maggot. It would be a good idea to have a vet take a look at it.

We just talked about bot flies a couple weeks ago...but I don't remember what the OP of that thread did to get rid of the maggots. Go to the top of the page here and type in "bot fly" in the GOOGLE custom search box. Hopefully the thread I'm referring to will come up.

JennBell0725

5 Year Member
Looks like a bot fly to me as well.

☆Jenn☆ and The Sulcata Hatchies, Cera, Ducky, and Spike!

SANDRA_MEISSNEST

5 Year Member
oh my poor little guy . let us know what's going on and how you could solve the problem

Sent from my ZTE N9120 using TortForum mobile app

jpadams555

5 Year Member
Im thinking bot fly after some research any methods you know of to rid them i dont have the stomach to tweezer them

SANDRA_MEISSNEST

5 Year Member
U will have to close the hole! Vaseline....best thing also to cover ut up. 24h later the larve has to breath, and it would be at the entrance of the hole, with tweezers you would gently pull it out. also it could be there more than one maybe like 3. so you have to keep repeating the process.

where do you live

jpadams555

5 Year Member
I emailed the breeder and he just responded he believes its a warble fly i guess alot like a bot fly i live in michigan its a baby box turtle and is kept indoors now but was outdoors at breeders before shipping

SANDRA_MEISSNEST

5 Year Member
Yup,do that what i told u to
Also go to youtube and write in removal botfly it wull tell u how to do it. Act fast,u have to get them out before its to late,keep us posted.
Where was the breedee from, it has to be a very warm climate

jpadams555

5 Year Member
Got 7 out i hate to say it but but my gf actually did i didnt have the stomach to do it. I hope this isnt too common they will be kept primarily indoors

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
I've had my oldest boxie for over 37 years and never had bot flies in him or any of the others. So you could go the next 50 years or more not having to deal with this again. Kudos to you & your girl friend.

SANDRA_MEISSNEST

5 Year Member
Do u know if she got them all out? How did u do it? With the vaseline? And then tweezing them out?

I have boxies and sullies,never had that happend to me

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
I've treated a few animals for bot fly maggots, but never a reptile. Hope the poor thing feels better soon.

May[CHERRY BLOSSOM], Hermann's [TURTLE][TURTLE] & Aussie [DOG FACE][DOG FACE][DOG FACE] (@YWG)

jpadams555

5 Year Member
SANDRA_MEISSNEST said:
Do u know if she got them all out? How did u do it? With the vaseline? And then tweezing them out?

I have boxies and sullies,never had that happend to me

I think there maybe a couple left we are using vasoline and tweezers when they come out weve gotten out a couple every time we check

SANDRA_MEISSNEST

5 Year Member
Perfect,keep doing it.im sure he is going to feel much better
Let us know if there are more and when u got them all out. put vaseline on there so that nothing else can't get back in or trippel antibiotic cream .until it heals up

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
Wow, I just read all of this and the linked thread. That is scary. I have horses and now worry about bots finding my torts. Good greif!
We had a horrid hot humid Spring/Summer and the flies and gnats were abominable. We were just constantly swarmed by all sorts of flying biting insects in June and July. The horses AND myself.

Ann from CT

SANDRA_MEISSNEST

5 Year Member
Im in south fl. But never had any problems

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
jpadams555 said:
Got 7 out i hate to say it but but my gf actually did i didnt have the stomach to do it. I hope this isnt too common they will be kept primarily indoors

Be sure to kill all the maggots and keep your screen doors shut during the warm season. Btw, your gf rocks!

May[CHERRY BLOSSOM], Hermann's [TURTLE][TURTLE] & Aussie [DOG FACE][DOG FACE][DOG FACE] (@YWG)

Status
Not open for further replies.