Platysternons hatching

maroonus

5 Year Member
Heres a rare treat. Platysternons hatching (the only pictures around I think?). From several years back. Shared photo from Sue Teidemann.
I had contacted her a while back for breeding advice, etc.

Thought Gerard and Anthony would enjoy these too :)

Attachments

• PlatysternonSue1.jpg
    PlatysternonSue1.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 66
  • PlatysternonSue2.jpg
    PlatysternonSue2.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 67

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Very cool. Thank you. What's going on with the turtle's back in the second pic? It looks red and raw.

Are these guys still alive and well today? I'd like to learn all I can about this species.

maroonus

5 Year Member
Tom said:
Very cool. Thank you. What's going on with the turtle's back in the second pic? It looks red and raw.

Are these guys still alive and well today? I'd like to learn all I can about this species.

I'm not sure what it is..All I see is that it's slime on the shell (partial yolk sack maybe?) not shell damage. They did just fine after hatching. Have no idea where they are now.

Benjamin

5 Year Member
zone 7b
Great thanks for sharing! I remember hearing about them.

Tom that is the yolk/umbilical sac. Geoemyda have the same type, different than a lot of species.

Gerards

5 Year Member
Florida
Awesome, I remember seeing that picture. I have seen some new hatchlings before, it's something I hope to do again one day.

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
Oh wow! Those are amazing shots!

As far as the umbilicus, I was lucky when I hatched the spengleri that Ben explained that to me. It was so stringy and slimy. I would have thought the yolk sac ruptured if it were not for that conversation.