Plastron flake off

Amoeba

Location (City and/or State)
West Java
Hello. Today I just notice some of the thin layer on my 1 year old leopard plastron flaking off. I've looked in other threads but haven't found a similar case like this. Is this the start of the shell rot forming? He stay outdoor for 6hour and stay in humid enclosure indoor with humid coco coir substrate at night. Before I use fir bark since he's hatchling but change to coir since January. Has anyone had a similar experience?

Attachments

• 20230713_215840.jpg
    20230713_215840.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 5

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Leopards don't really get shell rot.
Are you sure it doesn't just wash off?
If it doesn't, my guess would be more of a ruff surface that he has scraped it on.

Reactions: Tom

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It's very unusual for leopards to get shell rot, and it's hard for me to tell from a picture if that's what it is. Take a soft bristle brush and some baby shampoo and give that plastron a good cleaning then take a new picture for us please.

It looks more like paint or something white he walked through.

zovick

10 Year Member!
It's very unusual for leopards to get shell rot, and it's hard for me to tell from a picture if that's what it is. Take a soft bristle brush and some baby shampoo and give that plastron a good cleaning then take a new picture for us please.

It could be that the tortoise plopped down on some pasty urates which have hardened and stuck to the plastron. As Yvonne advised, try brushing it off. I'd use lukewarm water and a toothbrush or some other bristled brush to see if you can remove it. Soaking the tortoise in lukewarm water first for 15-20 minutes may help to loosen the material and make it easier to brush off.

Amoeba

West Java
It could be that the tortoise plopped down on some pasty urates which have hardened and stuck to the plastron. As Yvonne advised, try brushing it off. I'd use lukewarm water and a toothbrush or some other bristled brush to see if you can remove it. Soaking the tortoise in lukewarm water first for 15-20 minutes may help to loosen the material and make it easier to brush off.

Sorry for dirty tortoise picture before. At first I also thought like that. But after cleaning the plastron it seem the white spot doesn't come off. I have bought foot cream with Clotrimazole, should I put it on the spot?

Attachments

• 20230714_093732.jpg
    20230714_093732.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 4

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The cream won't work unless you clean up wherever it is that the tortoise is sitting in urine-soaked bedding. Keep it clean and dry during treatment and after.

Amoeba

West Java
The cream won't work unless you clean up wherever it is that the tortoise is sitting in urine-soaked bedding. Keep it clean and dry during treatment and after.
Noted. I already put him in bare bottom enclosure. The coco coir itself isn't too dirty yet, I already replace it couple time since January but still come from same batch. Still confuse me where did this spot come from.
Does he need to have betadine soak first?