plant lights?

Status
Not open for further replies.

heyprettyrave

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New York
seems like my plants are'nt doing as great as i would hope, is there a plant light that i could put in the enclosure as well? the plants i have are tropical, and they are doing alright, but im wondering if its getting to warm in there for them, some of the leaves look alittle burnt....

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
I use this bulb for my grazing grass mix from home depot :) Philips 75 Watt BR30 Agro Plant Light Bulb sorry no link:cool:

moswen

5 Year Member
my plants do great just under the powersun 100w mvb that i have for my torts. once the seeds that were sitting next to their enclosure got water spilled on them and they started growing right there. (they were in a container with dry dirt waiting to be shifted out lol)

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
The plants in my enclosure are tropical as well, and they are doing great with just the powersun 100 watt. I do try to place them away from the MVB, and I mist them twice a day, morning and at night just before I turn the bulb off.

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
An Exo-terra 2.0 UVB tube will work. They're pretty useful when it comes to plant growth and I think it's better than the 5.0 and 10.0 models.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
MVB-UVB bulbs are big in green, yellow, and purple- which makes it look like real white light but it really is not. You need some reds, oranges, blues, etc. to get true balanced lighting. Not only your plants, but your tortoise eyes will benefit.

Balboa

5 Year Member
PNW
Second what Mark says.

Get some nice daylight deluxe, sunstick, sunshine, whatever full spectrum lamps for good all around lighting. A plant/aquarium lamp from HD will give the plants a nice boost, but doesn't have a balanced light spectrum.

Different plants have different lighting needs and you may need to adjust placement. Full Sun type plants will need to be placed close to a lamp, whereas shade (or typical house) plants can be further away.

Basking type lights may burn a plant, so be careful with that.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Thanks Balboa! I had a real D'oh! moment when I realized I forgot to make a recommendation for a bulb to even things out some.

Any of the following will help 'even out' the MVB-UVB bulb...
- Natural sunshine through a window
- 'Daylight' fluorescent bulb
- Cool and warm white fluorescents together
- Plain incandescent bulb, although still a bit skimpy in the blue colors
- Some plant light bulbs (plant bulbs tend to put out some combination of green, blue, and red)

Cre8ruckas

5 Year Member
Philadelphia, PA
plant bulbs ive always used were just regular or high output VHO tube style with a 5000K rating. Plants want that green/yellow light spectrum, the higher the Kalvin rating the bluer/whiter the light spectrum.

SILVERSTAR

5 Year Member
sacramento california
t-5 strip lights grow all my plants in my frogs and toads aquariums and i cant cut em back quit enuf,it grew the aloe like crazy and even trys growing algea in my frogs water the t-5 s jus sprout anything under em i think they are great for frogs but i only use em as a supplement lite for my tortoise,they cost$33 roughly and can be installed onto any wood or shelf,i have mine built into my stand that i also built to hold a 55gal aquarium

Status
Not open for further replies.