Plant light?

funbean

I use a MVB can I put in a compact coil light about 24in for more light and help grow things I have off to the sideImageUploadedByTortForum1391123531.519927.jpg like this

funbean said:
I use a MVB can I put in a compact coil light about 24in for more light and help grow things I have off to the side like this

It's not a UVB just a plant light are they also bad for eyes?

Last edited by a moderator:

pfara

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
Yes those are still bad for tortoise eyes. Also, cfls are only efficient (aka useful) if they're a few inches from the top of the plant. If you're going to use cfls for growing, it's best to do it away from the enclosure in its own designated area.

tortoisetime565

Location (City and/or State)
Oklahoma
I have a pacman frog and they don't require as many lights so I have a double deep dome over her cage and one side has heat and the other has a UVB light. The uvb light hangs over the side of her cage and is about a foot above the floor. It is directly over the tub I'm growing stuff in. So it gets uvb from the light and so does Picasso my frog. The plants I'm growing is a mix of grass seeds for my torts, it gets full sunlight from windows from 8am-4 pm then the sun sets. I leave it under the heat and uvb lamp from my pacman frogs cage and it seems to help. It keeps the soul warm and I'm hoping it speeds up the germinating.

Just to add on, I agree with Tiffany. Sun is the best! But it's colder than a dead snowman outside.. Lol