Plant Help

PepperJack

I have a tortoise table for my amazing cherry head, and would like the natural touch of pants in there for him to eat and hide in BUT everything I put in there (pregrown or seed) dies within a week or two. Suggestions here?

pfara

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
A few questions: How big is your enclosure, what are the temps, how deep is the substrate and what type is it, how moist is the substrate, what type of lights do you use and how close are they to the plants, what types of plants have you tried putting in there?

A picture of the enclosure might help, too. What exactly happens to the plants?

PepperJack

I just cleaned and upgraded the enclosure about a month ago, it is 3' by 2' and 12"deep (I know it is small but he is only a baby). Lighting I have florescent uvb on timer and for heat ceramic bulb 24/7. Heat stays at steady 80 and humidity at a steady 80% to 90%.

pfara

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
If you use the type of plants that thrive in redfoot conditions (low lighting, high humidity) then you shouldn't have too many issues with plants. Spider plants seem to be the hardiest of the "safe" houseplants that do well in a redfoot enclosure. It all depends, though. I've had countless spider babies off my original mother plant. When I pot them up, some grow very quickly while others just can't make the transition, wilt, and die. Pothos is another good choice but, in my experience, is usually eaten down to nubs within a week. Christmas cactus falls into the same category as Pothos.