Planning to buy tortoise and have question

david133

Location (City and/or State)
Boston
hello I am planning to buy a 1 year old Russian tortoise. And I have questions. I would be very grateful if you could answer them. I am very sensitive to smells. I found a closed chamber for sale, with a wooden lid. (all the necessary lamps are inside the chamber) Does the cover completely eliminate the possibility of odors in my room? Will the smell still get through the vent easily? I will spot clean daily, but there is still a chance of odors because not all and not all turtles urinate when you soak them. Sorry for my bad english

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Hm. It's a tough question, as you have perception of the world very different from most of the people. Personally, I have never noticed the smell of tortoise pee. Smell from substrate is much more obvious (but not in the room, only if you sniff the vents or put your head inside). Also, tortoise feces smell badly and even with timely spot cleaning odour stays for some hours (still no match to cats, dogs and rodents). Using an air purifier next to the tortoise enclosure may work for you.

Maybe you can visit a local pet shop who sells tortoises and check if smells around tortoise enclosure bother you (there are lot of odour sources in pet stores, so it's not a pure experiment).

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
As Alex mentions, everyone has different levels of sensitivity but I find that I am also rather sensitive to smells. So long as you spot clean there should not be an inherent lingering odor from the tortoise, but there may be from humidity, etc.

That said, and I know this isn't what you are coming here to ask about, but a few things from what you have said just to ask some questions.

1) "One year old Russian" - where are you getting it from. Please know every pet store sales person is going to tell you their many-years-old wild caught Russian is "one years old". This is especially true of Petsmart and Petco. My tortoise was sold to its previous owners exactly that way. They are older than 1 in order to reach the 4" minimum to be shipped, so if you are looking a petco or petsmart, that's really not a good place to get one. You might as well try to find one that needs a home on craigslist, because you're not getting a yearling anyway. If you are getting from a breeder, just make sure its a good one, feel free to ask on this forum.

2) "closed chamber with wooden lid". We hear a lot of people call the 2' x 3' "tortoise houses" you can buy online "closed chambers" because they have a mesh lid, but what we mean by enclosed chamber is a fully enclosed tank so humidity and heat don't escape. Can you clarify the kind of enclosure you are buying?

We can help if you provide more info.

Also if you have not read this, this is a good place for everyone on start:

Be glad you are asking these questions before you get your first tortoise, its much easier that way, believe me