Planning on this SPRING

mtdavis254817

10 Year Member!
I am trying to find out if I can purchase any grass seeds native to Seychelles island to plant in my aldabras habitat.. Does anyone know what types of grass grow there. I have Bermudas fescue and st augustine. I was hoping to ad some of her native grass... and is it possible to get the kind of cactus tree that is found on the galops.....

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Have you done any research to find out what types of grasses they have? Also, don't forget. She didn't come for their, so she may not even take to those type of grasses right away or at all.

Holycow

10 Year Member!
Homestead ,FL
I've been digging for the same information, however my small aldabra is housed in a large outdoor enclosure which is pretty overgrown, this leads it to spending all day searching out its favorite weeds and larger leafed plants. My tortoise turns up its noise at most grasses except hay which I don't regularly offer because I am concerned about him choking or getting dehydrated. It does eat a very small amount of grass when it gets tangled in whatever food is being inhaled, but this has to be a very small %. I've got a list of some plants the tortoises in the Seychelles are known to eat. I've not attempted to grow or procure any myself thus far. Not all of these are grasses.
Getting Back to topic. Plants the tortoises eat on the islands include:
Vigna marina
Guettarda speciosa
Cordia subcordata
Hibiscus tiliaceus
Canavalia cathartica
Premna obtusifolia
Pueraria
Ficus lutea
Asystasia ganganatica
Stenotaphrum micranthum (grass)
Stenotaphrum dimidiatum (grass)
Stenotaphrum secundatum (st augustine grass)
Ipomoea pes-caprae
I've found these in some books and on the net where plants the tortoise are eating are identified. Anyone out there feel free to throw others into the list if you know they are not toxic. Also if anything on this list in KNOWN to be toxic please point that out too. I'm no expert just doing research here.
--Jeff

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
What about Rye grass seeds? I don't know if they'll eat it, but it's available at most feed stores. I just bought a large bag of seeds. Tortoises can eat them; so, I guess Aldabras can eat them too.

Holycow

10 Year Member!
Homestead ,FL
sibi said:
What about Rye grass seeds? I don't know if they'll eat it, but it's available at most feed stores. I just bought a large bag of seeds. Tortoises can eat them; so, I guess Aldabras can eat them too.

Hi,
My post was just a list of some plants which grow on the Seychelles islands that Aldabra tortoises are known to eat.
It is not just a list of food for aldabra tortoises. They can eat a huge variety of plants and grasses.
-Jeff

Holycow

10 Year Member!
Homestead ,FL
Holycow said:
I've been digging for the same information, however my small aldabra is housed in a large outdoor enclosure which is pretty overgrown, this leads it to spending all day searching out its favorite weeds and larger leafed plants. My tortoise turns up its noise at most grasses except hay which I don't regularly offer because I am concerned about him choking or getting dehydrated. It does eat a very small amount of grass when it gets tangled in whatever food is being inhaled, but this has to be a very small %. I've got a list of some plants the tortoises in the Seychelles are known to eat. I've not attempted to grow or procure any myself thus far. Not all of these are grasses.
Getting Back to topic. Plants the tortoises eat on the islands include:
Vigna marina
Guettarda speciosa
Cordia subcordata
Hibiscus tiliaceus
Canavalia cathartica
Premna obtusifolia
Pueraria
Ficus lutea
Asystasia ganganatica
Stenotaphrum micranthum (grass)
Stenotaphrum dimidiatum (grass)
Stenotaphrum secundatum (st augustine grass)
Ipomoea pes-caprae
I've found these in some books and on the net where plants the tortoise are eating are identified. Anyone out there feel free to throw others into the list if you know they are not toxic. Also if anything on this list in KNOWN to be toxic please point that out too. I'm no expert just doing research here.
--Jeff
ok found another list... may be some doubles here:
Sporobolus virginicus
Sporobolus aldabrense
Portulaca mauritiensis
Thespesia populnea
Ochna ciliata lam (fruit)
Mystroxylon aethiopicum (fruit)
Colubrina asiatica
Gouania scandens
Terminalia boivinii Tul (fruit)
Guettarda speciosa L.
Hedyotis prolifera Fosberg
Scaevola taccada
Azima tetracantha Lam.
Solanum indicum L (berries)
Clerodendrum glabrum E
Dactyloctenium pilosum (grass)
Eragrostis sp. (grass)
Sclerodactylon macrostachyum (grass)
Some but not all components of the well known "tortoise turf" are listed below:
Bulbostylis basalis
Dactlyoctenium pilosum
Eragrostis decumbens
Fimbristylis cymosa
Panicurn aldabrense
Cyperus pumiifus
Sporoholus testudlnum
~uphosbia stoddartii
Phyllanthus maderaspatensis
Sida parvifolia
Tephrosia pumil
thallose liverwort riccia

Happy researching everyone!

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Have you tried an eBay search? I use eBay often to get seeds for plants for my tortoises. Worth a try anyway.

mtdavis254817

10 Year Member!
Holy cow.. Thanks. The research I came across just said millet grasses . didn't really specify.. EBay search for millet just brought up foxtail and some other grasses that weren't on tortoise tables edible grass list. I am extending her pen eight more feet this winter and going to TRY to put a shallow pond for her.. I am hoping to use the tall grass that are common in her native land because the grass in her pen stays short but when I let her roam the yard she always heads for the tall monkey grass to lay under. I want her to have as many options in her pen as possible. Food and shade..thank you all for the great research finds.. They say it takes a village to raise a child and a forum to raise a tortoise...:D

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
I've purchased plantain, chicory, dandelion, wild geranium, mallow seeds to name a few on eBay.