Status
Not open for further replies.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Oregon
Hey everyone,

I'll be setting up a 125gallon tank in a classroom. This will be my first time setting up red ear slider turtles. I have a 125gallon community/goldfish tank too that has been running in a classroom for about 5years.

I'd like to run through my ideas for the set up..would you offer tips, changes, suggestion or tweaks for me? with using funds from the budget i don't want to buy something that i wont need or have to upgrade later. it is our goal to set it up right the first time and you have "been there done that" tips to offer.
keep in mind this is a show tank and our director wants it to be cosmetically appealing.

I do water changes and maintenance once a week. the classroom coordinator is there 5days a week. lights will be on timers, heat on thermostats etc.

i planned on a basking bulb on a timer, CHE on a thermostat, UVB tubes.
a water heater though i still need to learn what temps they need in all areas.
filter recommendations? i read to get 3x what the tank is... the fluval 5x? what about the kind that sit in the tank like a whisper?
is 1-2 feet enough of land space, the other 4+ feet as the water area ok? should there be more or less land space?

share with me anything you think i need to read up or learn as a potential problem or issue...
im just starting my search for information

thanks!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I wouldn't get RES. painted or some other smaller species would be better. RES get very large and are dirtier then most others and can be shyer then others, never really getting used to humans.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
wellington said:
I wouldn't get RES. painted or some other smaller species would be better. RES get very large and are dirtier then most others and can be shyer then others, never really getting used to humans.

..interesting.

i am not set on a species. i assumed to get these based on availability/popularity.

i will definitely look into other species then. thank you!!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Team Gomberg said:
wellington said:

..interesting.

i am not set on a species. i assumed to get these based on availability/popularity.

i will definitely look into other species then. thank you!!

There are so many that need homes because they are bought as cute little babies, then quite quickly get huge and out grow any aquarium anyone wants to get them. If you do get RES, look into adopting them or even getting ones that need rehoming. To me, the problem with them are like the problem with sulcatas, over populated.

Oh, BTW, the males RES are smaller the the females.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
if we went with the sliders most likely we'd buy the overgrown pets you refer to from Craig's List. i see so many there...

i did read that males are smaller but i was hoping for 2 in the tank. would 2 males work? im not sure how these guys compare to torts etc in behavior, pairs and compatibility.

i dont think 1 turtle is enough action for the classroom and 3 is too many for the 125gallon tank.

any and all suggestions for different types of turtles, group size and/or set up tips is welcome please!!!!

i really want to glean off any advise you aquatic turtle keepers have to offer.

if YOU were setting up a 125 with turtles, what would YOU do?? what things would you NOT do??

80zthomas

5 Year Member
Vacaville, Ca
Team Gomberg said:
if we went with the sliders most likely we'd buy the overgrown pets you refer to from Craig's List. i see so many there...

i did read that males are smaller but i was hoping for 2 in the tank. would 2 males work? im not sure how these guys compare to torts etc in behavior, pairs and compatibility.

i dont think 1 turtle is enough action for the classroom and 3 is too many for the 125gallon tank.

any and all suggestions for different types of turtles, group size and/or set up tips is welcome please!!!!

i really want to glean off any advise you aquatic turtle keepers have to offer.

if YOU were setting up a 125 with turtles, what would YOU do?? what things would you NOT do??

125 gallons wow so much space land scape, aqua scape you should look at DIY setups on you tube it's very informational and Austin's page is as well a very good website to learn from..oh check this out very nice setup simple but very peaceful to watch just some ideas hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.