What about a frog?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattgrizzlybear

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NE Ohio
What about a frog that could live with my turtles? In health class today we had to go into a different classroom and we went into the science room where they had a tank and I saw a basking platform and I immedatally thought turtles! Turns out they were fish but with a frog. I now want a frog but one that could live with my turtles. If they cant live with my turtles I have an extra 20 gallon tank that I would be able to use. Thanks!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
The water turtles will try and eat the frog (personal experience), stressful for a tank mate.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
The frog, imagine living in a pool with a great white shark, a hungry great white shark.

mattgrizzlybear

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Ok, lol. What would be a good setup then for a frog? And what would be a good type of frog? Also what would I feed him?

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
I haven't had any frogs or toads in over ten years, so I can't help much.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Do a frog search on the interenet. Then decide what type from you want. They do the research on the care of them. There are lots of diff types and lots of diff care.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
Actually one of the easiest amphibians to keep is a "normal" toad, either southern or American toad. You can essentially put them on damp dirt or soil, provide a water bowl, and feed them crickets. Change the water out daily. Replace substrate every couple months. Of course, you can get really creative with the habitat, and make it very naturalistic.

White's (Dumpy) tree frogs are also good for beginners. Similar to the toad, but need more foliage and climbing decorations. They also eat crickets.

If you want something larger and a little more "fun," a pacman frog or African bullfrog (Pyxie) frog. These massive porkers eat crickets and large feeder roaches, and even the occasional rodent! Basically a big glob of green that sits in the mud and waits to be fed.

The true frogs (Ranids: leopard frogs, bullfrogs, etc) require a more semi-aquatic environment with filtration for the water and lots of space for hopping around. I usually don't suggest them for beginners.

And I would stay away from poison dart frogs, mantellas, etc, because they are small, and have more precise temperature & humidity needs, not to mention you need to feed them fruitflies, something the average keeper is not prepared, and may not even have access to provide.

mattgrizzlybear

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Sorry, told my mom and she was like nooooooo frogs! But thanks, I really wanted one!

Status
Not open for further replies.