Blind Albino

Status
Not open for further replies.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Oregon
I have a female Albino RES. I set up a 125gallon aquarium in a classroom and TFO member Gerards sent her to me for that tank. She is adorable and not only do I love her but the kids and teachers do, too :)

It's been a couple of months and I really think she is blind. She swims into things more often that what would be considered normal. Also, I have only ever seen her eat poop (1x), snails on the sand (2x), sunken algae disc (1x). Other than that she goes after the floating foods but misses it. She'll be grabbing for the floating mazuri, shrimp, worms etc. But miss it completely and then give up on trying.

I have an automatic food dispenser that gives out a good amount of mixed things each day. I keep the tank stocked with feeder shrimp, small snails and feeder guppies who breed and keep their population going.

I have tried feeding her in a separate bucket on Tuesdays, the day I go for about 2 hours for tank maintenance. She wont eat that way yet.

I have the dispenser feed more than I normally would in hopes that as the food settles to the bottom she is able to find it.

She is housed with a female southern painted. There was also a male RES but he was pulled after a few weeks because he bullied the albino. The 2 girls get along great and there are no issues. It's just the "blindness" and her eating I want to make sure I handle correctly.

Any tips or advice on how to make sure she is eating enough?

Here is the pretty little girl
28t8qa.jpg

Vickie

5 Year Member
Aww poor thing. I have a blind dog and it took him some time when he first lost his site to learn to fend for himself. Sound like your working hard to help him out. One thing you might want to think about is one of those food rings in the water? Maybe a teacher can help you out with that when your not around and hold it in the area he is searching for the food? This way there is a group of food together to help it capture the food. After time I would think with the ring he would get onto it and learn to feed himself with the ring in place?Also, these turtles have a habit of going when your not even looking. So I am unsure weather you need to be concerned with that? Ours we rarely seen go however, he grew like a weed so apparently he did a good amount of it. ;)

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
Have you tried feeding her when the overhead light is off? If the food is floating, she would have to see it in the middle of a very bright light. Especially bright to her sensitive eyes. She looks to be larger than a new hatchling, so she must be eating enough to grow.

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
Re: RE: Blind Albino

yagyujubei said:
Have you tried feeding her when the overhead light is off? If the food is floating, she would have to see it in the middle of a very bright light. Especially bright to her sensitive eyes. She looks to be larger than a new hatchling, so she must be eating enough to grow.

Good thought actually. Its never nice looking up into a bright light, especially to find food.

I think she's lovely btw >.<

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
yagyujubei said:

Didn't try it without the light yet. When I tried feeding her in the bucket there was no direct light overhead. But this will be something I'll try.

She hasn't grown in the time I've had her. It hasn't been long but still. She was already 4" or so when I got her. She was a breeding hold back that Gerard had decided to let go of. I emailed him about a week ago for tips on how he fed her but I have no doubt he is busy with his breeding/babies so I'm sure he'll reply to me when he is able to. Just wanted to get opinions here while I wait.

I'll look into some feeding ring ideas too.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Two very good ideas. Her eyes are probably very light-sensitive, so trying the feeding without the light is a good thing. Also the ring to contain the food in one spot is another good idea. Gad I love this forum!!

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
Many albinos struggle in this manner. You will find over time, that the turtle will learn to really use its taste and smelling abilities to locate food and will do so much more easily. This really lengthy learning curve is a big reason that albinos should be raised with normal hatchlings only under much observation.

Snow RES, in my experience, are even worse eye sight wise, but hypos and Caramels have great vision.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I was thinking the feeding ring too. I would put it in the same spot every time. Then maybe she will get used to being fed in that same spot and will know that's where she needs to be at feeding time. Good luck, keep us posted on how it all goes.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
They are fed from an automatic dispenser. I've been thinking about the food ring but don't know how to achieve that daily while she is in the classroom tank.

Same with the lights. They are on timers and I don't know how to manage turning them off for feeding. Technically I can set the time to go off for the feeding time and back on half hour later. BUT the classroom is only used 2x a week. It's a Special Needs classroom. So 5 days a week the classroom is empty and the class lights are off. If I timed the lights to go off at feeding then the tank would be in "night time darkness". :/ Don't wanna do that either...

I'm considering setting up a pond at home to provide better supervised care. But I'm not sure yet.... I'm going to try and find something to work out. I want her to eat, gain weight and do well.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
After a meeting with the teachers and classroom organizer we have decided that I will take the albino to my house. I'll be setting up an outdoor pond/pen just for her and hopefully she'll eat and gain some weight. She weighed in at only 81grams today..

I'll get a turtle or 2 to go in the 125gallon tank with the painted and the class will still enjoy them.

Once the albino is doing better and I know she's eating well and strong I'll either keep her with me or set up another tank just for her in another classroom.

Vickie

5 Year Member
Team Gomberg said:
After a meeting with the teachers and classroom organizer we have decided that I will take the albino to my house. I'll be setting up an outdoor pond/pen just for her and hopefully she'll eat and gain some weight. She weighed in at only 81grams today..

I'll get a turtle or 2 to go in the 125gallon tank with the painted and the class will still enjoy them.

Once the albino is doing better and I know she's eating well and strong I'll either keep her with me or set up another tank just for her in another classroom.

Sounds like a plan. Do me a huge favor though and if she is outside that the enclosure is covered to keep predators out. The things like skunks and raccoon loves them as well as hawks etc. Then with it not being able to see it even make him more prone to them as well. Also, one thing I learned having one out side is have some floating water plants with them. Especially at this size they love the feeling of security they give, love eating on the plants and my little ones would even climb up on them and sunbath.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
The pen definitely will be covered :)

And I'm planning to start with water hyacinths.

Thanks!

Heather
Sent from my Android TFO app

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I detailed this in the other thread but basically I brought her home, put her in a feeding tub and she ate fine.
Seeing her daily will enable me to make sure she eats :)

Heather
Sent from my Android TFO app

Status
Not open for further replies.