Planning Ahead For A Big Sulcata

zolasmum

5 Year Member
I am a 75 yr old woman 5'5 and 107 lbs. I live in the PNW and I too, have a 40 lb Sulcata. I have had bigger. Mary Knobbins is a rescue so she's not beautiful. I teach my Sulcata just like I might teach a dog. I had Bob in California, maybe 5 lbs...moved up here he got over 100....but I'm getting ahead of myself. I would use any food that he'd really go for. Bob's was strawberries...So daily I would use the treats in one hand and wiggling my fingers with the other....I would walk backwards to where ever I wanted him....it didn't take much time before he'd follow me without the treats. BUT...Bob was extremely social and very intelligent. I taught him to play soccer with a 5 gallon bucket. You can train Stella to do most stuff you want, you need treats, patience, and a relationship with the tort. Does he want to spend time w/you? Is he responsive to you?
This is where she lives in the winter View attachment 341317
it's 20'x12' heated and insulated it keeps 85 or over in the middle of a freeze. With the exception of extremely awful weather, I would open the doggie door for Bob and he'd check out the outside and come back in. Mary K doesn't like going out in the cold weather. In the in Oregon people don't tan they rust...Mary will go out in the rain, but not freezing or snow.... That snow storm was was not unusual but rare Mary takes herself back in the the shed now that I have taught her to do that but she's real stubborn and she's not very smart I don't think that to learn but she will go back inside when it's cold that's the most important thing to make them go back inside on their own when it's cold Anyway. the doggie doorView attachment 341318
this is the sleeping box with a pig blanket to sleep on. and there's enuf room for the tort to be in the box but not on the mat. I hope this helps some...Yes, in a perfect world all Sulcata would live at Tom/s but you can have yours if you are willing to put yourself out some.
View attachment 341319
How can you say Mary Knobbins is not beautiful !!
She has a unique charm.
Angie

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hey. I am getting a little off topic... Okay maybe a lot but @Yvonne G I also have a kindle and I have to go onto the website every time I go on the tortoise forum because I can't find a app. Do you know if I can somehow get the app? Or do I just need to keep going on Google to find TTF?
When you have the forum's home page on your screen, look for something that looks like a vertical banner right next to the url. If you click on that symbol you can then choose to add an icon "pinned to my favorites." And then it's on your home screen.

Anna Westphal

Dolores, Colorado
Maggie! Thank you so much for your message and pictures. I have followed your posts about the adventures of Mary Knobbins (and previously with Bob) since I joined the former shortly after I got Stella. I saw Stella in a small plastic bin in a pet store and was told she was 5 years old and had previously been living in a bathtub. When "she" got too big, the family took her to the pet store. When I saw her in that plastic tub I could not bear to leave her there. Even though I paid for Stella I did consider it a rescue situation.
I previously posted about the surprise penis during one of her bath soaks, but by that time I was so used to calling him Stella the name stuck. One of the other members on this forum suggested I call him Stella da Fella, so that's his official name now although I more often than not referred to him as a her. I tell people she identifies as a female and that usually gets a smile. Stella had pyramiding from his original dry start but his new growth looks good so I'm really happy about that.
Stella is very smart, maybe smarter than me, and we do have a bond. He will often approach me when he sees me, especially if he wants something. He will often come towards me when I wiggle my fingers because I did train him to associate that with getting something special. I got a little paranoid about offering a strawberry from other posts on the forum emphasizing that you are not ever to give a Sulcata tortoise fruit but that is a treat that he would follow me for. The main time he acts like he doesn't like me is when he knows I'm going to pick him up and move him. I don't blame him it's probably not a pleasant experience.
I am going to order a gorilla cart just in case but will definitely use your advice to try and train him to go inside by himself so that I don't have to physically pick him up and move him. I have been wary about letting him out when the weather is not warm enough but I see now that if I put him out when it's a little bit unpleasant he might be more motivated to go in on his own and then develop that habit.
I attached some pictures of his 6ft by 10 ft indoor nightbox which has a support wall inside to help hold up the insulated top, so the box is a bit divided but he can walk around the wall like a race track. I have a reptile heat pad in the night box along with his ceramic heaters and a pig blanket and hay in the unheated area. The box attaches to a 10 by 10 ft area that is inside but not temp/humidity controlled, but I have been able to keep his night box at about 90 degrees and good humidity by keeping the coco coir moist. Of course he has a large water dish that he can soak in as well.
He has access to his outdoor area through a door when I open it. The outdoor area is a mess right now because we just did have quite a bit of snow melt off but in the spring and summer it's quite lovely.
I really admire you and you have given me great hope that Stella and I will be able to stay together. Thank you again for taking the time to help me. Anna

Attachments

• IMG_20220305_120742880.jpg
    IMG_20220305_120742880.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20220305_115710984~2.jpg
    IMG_20220305_115710984~2.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20220305_115816082.jpg
    IMG_20220305_115816082.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20220305_115907355.jpg
    IMG_20220305_115907355.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 12

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
Maggie! Thank you so much for your message and pictures. I have followed your posts about the adventures of Mary Knobbins (and previously with Bob) since I joined the former shortly after I got Stella. I saw Stella in a small plastic bin in a pet store and was told she was 5 years old and had previously been living in a bathtub. When "she" got too big, the family took her to the pet store. When I saw her in that plastic tub I could not bear to leave her there. Even though I paid for Stella I did consider it a rescue situation.
I previously posted about the surprise penis during one of her bath soaks, but by that time I was so used to calling him Stella the name stuck. One of the other members on this forum suggested I call him Stella da Fella, so that's his official name now although I more often than not referred to him as a her. I tell people she identifies as a female and that usually gets a smile. Stella had pyramiding from his original dry start but his new growth looks good so I'm really happy about that.
Stella is very smart, maybe smarter than me, and we do have a bond. He will often approach me when he sees me, especially if he wants something. He will often come towards me when I wiggle my fingers because I did train him to associate that with getting something special. I got a little paranoid about offering a strawberry from other posts on the forum emphasizing that you are not ever to give a Sulcata tortoise fruit but that is a treat that he would follow me for. The main time he acts like he doesn't like me is when he knows I'm going to pick him up and move him. I don't blame him it's probably not a pleasant experience.
I am going to order a gorilla cart just in case but will definitely use your advice to try and train him to go inside by himself so that I don't have to physically pick him up and move him. I have been wary about letting him out when the weather is not warm enough but I see now that if I put him out when it's a little bit unpleasant he might be more motivated to go in on his own and then develop that habit.
I attached some pictures of his 6ft by 10 ft indoor nightbox which has a support wall inside to help hold up the insulated top, so the box is a bit divided but he can walk around the wall like a race track. I have a reptile heat pad in the night box along with his ceramic heaters and a pig blanket and hay in the unheated area. The box attaches to a 10 by 10 ft area that is inside but not temp/humidity controlled, but I have been able to keep his night box at about 90 degrees and good humidity by keeping the coco coir moist. Of course he has a large water dish that he can soak in as well.
He has access to his outdoor area through a door when I open it. The outdoor area is a mess right now because we just did have quite a bit of snow melt off but in the spring and summer it's quite lovely.
I really admire you and you have given me great hope that Stella and I will be able to stay together. Thank you again for taking the time to help me. Anna
Aw'ww such a handsome dude:tort: . . . er dudette. . . er Dude...😊 Sounds like he has a wonderful life even for Colorado

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
@Anna Westphal there is another option on moving a large tortoise without having to actually picking it up, Using a small tarp you can drag (slide) the tortoise to where you want it. I have done this moving large plants to a new location to replant. Harbor Freight is where I purchased them. Their tarps have eyelets where you could attach ropes if you wanted. This way will probably be less stressful on the tortoise than a cart ride. Years ago when Walker was about 80 pounds I needed to do some work in his area so I blocked him into a a section of the yard so I could get it done. I used a piece of 6 mil poly to transport to where I wanted him by just sliding him across the yard. No stress on him or my back.

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
There's an idea I hadn't thought of. I can see how that would work. Thanks for the tip!
And to add to that Idea with the Tarp, If you had good sized sheet's of Cardboard to lay down on the path that would assist in the move. The friction between the tarp and cardboard would be reduced as opposed to dragging the tarp over the uneven ground. And it would make the tarp last longer...
Note: Small Appliance shops get Refrigerators in Large boxes, and my local shop is friendly enough that locals can get the empty boxes for project's. Just a thought.....

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
@Anna Westphal there is another option on moving a large tortoise without having to actually picking it up, Using a small tarp you can drag (slide) the tortoise to where you want it. I have done this moving large plants to a new location to replant. Harbor Freight is where I purchased them. Their tarps have eyelets where you could attach ropes if you wanted. This way will probably be less stressful on the tortoise than a cart ride. Years ago when Walker was about 80 pounds I needed to do some work in his area so I blocked him into a a section of the yard so I could get it done. I used a piece of 6 mil poly to transport to where I wanted him by just sliding him across the yard. No stress on him or my back.
My wife has one of those round kid's snow sleds with a rope tied through the handle for this purpose. The rough rocky ground here would shred a tarp or plastic in one run.

I also modified a dolly with a big plywood platform and a 2x12 backing, but wifely prefers her snow sled. I use the dolly when its needed.

Anna Westphal

Dolores, Colorado
And to add to that Idea with the Tarp, If you had good sized sheet's of Cardboard to lay down on the path that would assist in the move. The friction between the tarp and cardboard would be reduced as opposed to dragging the tarp over the uneven ground. And it would make the tarp last longer...
Note: Small Appliance shops get Refrigerators in Large boxes, and my local shop is friendly enough that locals can get the empty boxes for project's. Just a thought.....
I have boxes and a big tarp already, so if I need to use this method I'm all set. Thanks.

Anna Westphal

Dolores, Colorado
My wife has one of those round kid's snow sleds with a rope tied through the handle for this purpose. The rough rocky ground here would shred a tarp or plastic in one run.

I also modified a dolly with a big plywood platform and a 2x12 backing, but wifely prefers her snow sled. I use the dolly when its needed.
I have a couple of the round plastic snow sleds which I sink into the ground and use in nice weather for water dishes for Stella. It never occurred to me to use them for mobility. I have ordered a gorilla cart but these other ideas are nice to have as well. I appreciate everyone who has shared ideas.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I have one more comment...years before Bob died I was starting to feel guilty because I loved him so and I'd do special things for him to get him out in the winter. I'd rehab another Sulcata and generally adopt them to a better climate for the good of the tortoise. But not Bob he had to stay here. Because I "loved" him. then he died, and the doubt...did he die from living in the north? Don't know, was it selfish of me to keep him in the North? It has been publicly pointed out to me that Yes, that caused his death. The situation can be argued back and forth. The only reason I am making this comment is because I got from your post you might be feeling that way too. Nobody can help you with that. You need to set him up better...work on a wheelbarrow...and figure out what you can do emotionally. Other people will give you different and probably better advice, but I like you place for him...work on that...Mary K says thank you...100_1692.JPG
Well maybe she couldn't say hi cuz her mouth is full...

Attachments

• 100_1688.JPG
    100_1688.JPG
    550.6 KB · Views: 1

Anna Westphal

Dolores, Colorado
I have one more comment...years before Bob died I was starting to feel guilty because I loved him so and I'd do special things for him to get him out in the winter. I'd rehab another Sulcata and generally adopt them to a better climate for the good of the tortoise. But not Bob he had to stay here. Because I "loved" him. then he died, and the doubt...did he die from living in the north? Don't know, was it selfish of me to keep him in the North? It has been publicly pointed out to me that Yes, that caused his death. The situation can be argued back and forth. The only reason I am making this comment is because I got from your post you might be feeling that way too. Nobody can help you with that. You need to set him up better...work on a wheelbarrow...and figure out what you can do emotionally. Other people will give you different and probably better advice, but I like you place for him...work on that...Mary K says thank you...View attachment 341382
Well maybe she couldn't say hi cuz her mouth is full...
You are very perceptive and I couldn't have asked for any better advice than what you have given me.
I love Stella and want the very best for him. The thought that another home might be better for him brings tears to my eyes but I was willing to check out that option for his benefit. It doesn't seem like there are a lot of options for rescues so I will continue to try and provide Stella with the very best home possible with me. If Stella ends up not living as long a life as he would have somewhere else I will at least know that I did everything I could to give him a good life here and try not to feel guilty. I know he's better off here than he was living in a bathtub or a plastic bin.
I love Mary's pictures and feel like I know you and Mary Knobbins. I look forward to following your posts. Thank you again for all your encouragement.
I thought spring was here but this is the view from my front deck right now. I guess Stella is going to have another cozy day inside. IMG_20220306_084506690_HDR.jpg

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
OMG!!! You live by Cortez! This was me circa 1990....I was an over the road driver back and forth across the U.S.A. and Cortez was on of my most favorite places...4 corners, Shiprock....I wonder how many pictures of Shiprock I have taken...hundreds maybe....cool!!!84191616_611348029689408_2692242366223351808_n.jpg

Anna Westphal

Dolores, Colorado
OMG!!! You live by Cortez! This was me circa 1990....I was an over the road driver back and forth across the U.S.A. and Cortez was on of my most favorite places...4 corners, Shiprock....I wonder how many pictures of Shiprock I have taken...hundreds maybe....cool!!!View attachment 341392
Small world! What an amazing picture of a strong beautiful woman. We love this area too. My husband and I came through here on a road trip 16 years ago and I told him I was not going back to California until I knew we're going to move here. We put a bid in on a house that week, sold our house in our business in California and were living here within 3 months. Other than being a challenging environment for Sulcatas we feel like we are living in paradise.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
*waves* Hi neighbor! I am next door in Nebraska and have a couple of larger sulcatas. Between the wheelbarrow, plastic tarps, and sheer determination, moving them is able to be done. Not fun, but doable.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I think the white paper plate thing is that there might typically be food on it, and thus they associate the white paper plate with . . . "something to eat". and. . . they CAN be taught to return to their bed at dusk, or when it gets cold.
Some take to this naturally, others need a lil help, motivation, initially.
My old room mate had a 30#er "PeeWee" who knew how to get out of the house through the screen door, and migrate to the yard through the patio. He'd wander the yard then typically in late afternoon he would reverse the process and end up in his heated bed for the night...

I used to own three Jacob sheep that were quite mischievous & could outsmart most gates or fences. I quickly learned that I could easily “trick” them back home just by holding up a bucket & walking back to the field. I’m sure it’s easier for Len to display a paper plate then a wilted piece of lettuce. 😀

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
I used to own three Jacob sheep that were quite mischievous & could outsmart most gates or fences. I quickly learned that I could easily “trick” them back home just by holding up a bucket & walking back to the field. I’m sure it’s easier for Len to display a paper plate then a wilted piece of lettuce. 😀
Any Ram's Or just Ewe's, Ram's are supposedly multi Horned...