Planning Ahead For A Big Sulcata

Anna Westphal

Location (City and/or State)
Dolores, Colorado
Not a big surprise to me, but the needs of a 40 pound tortoise are much different than they were when I got him 2 1/2 years ago at 12 pounds.
I have plans to rebuild Stella da Fella's winter enclosure over the summer. The thing I worry most about is Colorado not being the best environment for him and wondering how difficult it would be to find a more appropriate home or if that's even a possibility. He has to spend most of the winter in his enclosure, which is 10 feet by 6 feet. I know that is not big enough for his needs and can add quite a bit of addition space.
I am not worried about the expense or work to rebuild but I'm coming up on 65 next week and I have to be realistic about my ability to eventually get him back into his temp/humidity controlled area as he gets bigger and I get older. Stella has not ever gone back in his indoor area by himself, so when he's out I have to pick him up and put him in. I can sometimes get him to follow me with a hand signal and a flash of greens, but his outdoor area is quite big and if he's on the opposite side it is a long way to carry him. In general once he's outside and the day is drawing to a close he finds one of his sheltered areas and goes to sleep. Even in the summer here I feel it is too cold for him to stay out at night, so I really need a long term solution. I have moved him in a wheel barrow a couple times but even that will eventually be impossible.
I worry so much about him and want the best for Stella, and I am wondering if there is a better life for him elsewhere and if so how do I find it?
Also, where do Sulcatas go when their owner dies? I don't know anyone that would be willing to take the task on and want to make some provision in my will but don't know what my instructions should be? It is my understanding that rescues are no longer accepting them, but if anyone has any advise I would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You can advertise on this forum in the adoption section to rehome him, the adopter pays any shipping fees.
As for you keeping him, we do have older members that keep lots of tortoises, some are sulcatas. He will need a bigger winter home, 6x10 is not big enough for an adult sully to be in 24/7 during winter. He does need to go in every night all year long. Removing any other shelters might get him to go into the shed on his own.
As far as rescues, you'd have to call those in your area to find out if they are taking them in.
Hope this helps.

Anna Westphal

Dolores, Colorado
Thanks for your input. I know he needs a bigger indoor area and will have one as soon as the weather warms up enough for me to do it. I feel terrible that he has to be inside so much during the winter months.
Although there are several trees in his outdoor space I think he still needs burrow options or covered spaces during the summer so I am not sure I should remove his preferred hiding areas, but it's something for me to consider. Thanks.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Not a big surprise to me, but the needs of a 40 pound tortoise are much different than they were when I got him 2 1/2 years ago at 12 pounds.
I have plans to rebuild Stella da Fella's winter enclosure over the summer. The thing I worry most about is Colorado not being the best environment for him and wondering how difficult it would be to find a more appropriate home or if that's even a possibility. He has to spend most of the winter in his enclosure, which is 10 feet by 6 feet. I know that is not big enough for his needs and can add quite a bit of addition space.
I am not worried about the expense or work to rebuild but I'm coming up on 65 next week and I have to be realistic about my ability to eventually get him back into his temp/humidity controlled area as he gets bigger and I get older. Stella has not ever gone back in his indoor area by himself, so when he's out I have to pick him up and put him in. I can sometimes get him to follow me with a hand signal and a flash of greens, but his outdoor area is quite big and if he's on the opposite side it is a long way to carry him. In general once he's outside and the day is drawing to a close he finds one of his sheltered areas and goes to sleep. Even in the summer here I feel it is too cold for him to stay out at night, so I really need a long term solution. I have moved him in a wheel barrow a couple times but even that will eventually be impossible.
I worry so much about him and want the best for Stella, and I am wondering if there is a better life for him elsewhere and if so how do I find it?
Also, where do Sulcatas go when their owner dies? I don't know anyone that would be willing to take the task on and want to make some provision in my will but don't know what my instructions should be? It is my understanding that rescues are no longer accepting them, but if anyone has any advise I would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance.
Its too late to text my friends on the East coast, but if you remind me tomorrow, I'll get the exact brand name and maybe a picture. The cart is pretty similar to this:
Rubbermaid-Commercial-Big-Wheel-Cart.jpg

This is how you move the biggun's: Tip this cart down, shimmy and shove the tortoise into it head or butt first, tip the cart up, wheel it to the heated night box, and then tip it back down to off load the tort directly into the box. Though I have not tried it, I'm told you can move up to about a 150 pounder by yourself in one of these. I did move one tortoise about 50 feet in one of these, and I think the weight was around 180-200 pounds.

Its my opinion that giant tortoises need giant enclosures. Small tortoises benefit tremendously from large enclosures, so why wouldn't larger ones? I think this is a large part of the reason for the high failure rate in zoos with Galapagos tortoises. A single adult sulcata needs a minimum of 50x50 feet, or 2500 sq. feet. They aren't going to instantly die if kept in something smaller, but they need space to walk. I keep little juveniles in 30x30 pens, and 50x50 looks cramped to my eye when there is a 100 pound monster tooling around in it from end to end all day. Frankly, I don't know how people can keep them cooped up in little sheds for months at a time in a frozen winter. I wouldn't keep them in that circumstance. I hate to see you and your tortoise part, so I vote that you both move south. Frozen winters are no fun for people either in my opinion, but some would disagree.

Anna Westphal

Dolores, Colorado
Thanks Tom. I do have a cart like this already. I wasn't sure how long Stella would fit in it but it sounds like it will work for a while.
A move for us is not in the picture. We have five acres in a beautiful part of Southern Colorado and the move here from California was our last.
Stella is important to me and I will do everything I can to make sure he has the very best conditions, but if I knew of some place where he would be better off I would get him there.
Also, again there is the question of where he will go when I die. I've done some preliminary online research and have not come up with any preserves or rescues for Sulcatas. Any ideas? Thanks for your knowledgeable input.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't know how to copy/paste from this Kindle that I'm using, but if you go to Amazon and search for Gorilla Cart, that's what I use. It has a dump feature that makes it easy to get the tortoise out.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
A quoset hut could work for you if it was spray foam insulated. You could then build a small heated room inside that could be his "night box". You could install a forced air heater to keep the rest of the hut at a warmer temp especially when the snow builds up giving it an igloo effect. Wish you the best! I moved from Ohio to Virginia and my last move will be way further south!

Anna Westphal

Dolores, Colorado
Thanks for the reply. I guess I wasn't clear in my original post. Shelter is not my issue. I have a quarter of a two car garage that I have built an indoor enclosure that's insulated, with temperature and humidity regulated in a enclosed 6 foot by 10 foot area- so basically what you all refer to as a night box. I will expand the temp controlled area this summer.
The question I had primarily was how to go about finding a better environment for this type of tortoise than Colorado. I love the idea of Stella being able to be outdoor all year round in the appropriate environment. I just don't know how or where to look to see if rehoming is an option. Also what to do when my tortoise gets too big for me to physically move because he doesn't go in by himself and prefers to stay outside. At some point I will physically not be able to lift him up into a cart, so I think rehoming is something I need to explore options for before it gets to that point. Any ideas regarding that issue would be appreciated. Thanks.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Thanks for the reply. I guess I wasn't clear in my original post. Shelter is not my issue. I have a quarter of a two car garage that I have built an indoor enclosure that's insulated, with temperature and humidity regulated in a enclosed 6 foot by 10 foot area- so basically what you all refer to as a night box. I will expand the temp controlled area this summer.
The question I had primarily was how to go about finding a better environment for this type of tortoise than Colorado. I love the idea of Stella being able to be outdoor all year round in the appropriate environment. I just don't know how or where to look to see if rehoming is an option. Also what to do when my tortoise gets too big for me to physically move because he doesn't go in by himself and prefers to stay outside. At some point I will physically not be able to lift him up into a cart, so I think rehoming is something I need to explore options for before it gets to that point. Any ideas regarding that issue would be appreciated. Thanks.
That is why is suggested the quonset hut- it would be like a full indoor enclosure with the ability to go outside on good days. Imagine a garage for a motor home that is now a sulcata Playland. You have a very tough decision with hot climate tortoise in a cold, but beautiful place. Wish you the best!

Anna Westphal

Dolores, Colorado
Thanks again. Stella does have the ability to go outside on nice days from his current indoor enclosure. He just doesn't go back in at the end of the days. I wish I knew how I could find a better environment for him where he could be out year round. I'll just have to keep asking around.

Donna Albu

5 Year Member
Peoria, Maricopa County, AZ
Thanks again. Stella does have the ability to go outside on nice days from his current indoor enclosure. He just doesn't go back in at the end of the days. I wish I knew how I could find a better environment for him where he could be out year round. I'll just have to keep asking around.
I'm surprised that Stella does not go in on his own when it starts to cool down, mine go in when evening is approaching, or pretty much anytime to cool off when it is hot. I weigh less than 100 lbs, and am 76, so I know how you are feeling! When I need mine to go where I want them to, I bribe them with treats. I start with putting one right in front of whoever needs to move, and then drop another one about 2 feet in the direction to travel while the first is being eaten. And continue that all the way to the destination. If it is their house, I put one right in the doorway, and a few inside the house. I've used baby carrots, pumpkin, strawberries. Something bright and that they don't get normally seems to work best. Good luck!

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Here's something you can try. Reduce his yard size so he can't get to his favorite spots now while it's still cold. In time he should learn to go back into his heated room to heat up. I've never had a sulcata that didn't go back in their house to warm up during cold weather or to put themselves to bed at night in warm weather. Good Luck. PS I have 5 sulcatas of various sizes (up to 150 pounds) that live outside year round that have access to the outside weather elements and they usually come out daily.

Anna Westphal

Dolores, Colorado
Here's something you can try. Reduce his yard size so he can't get to his favorite spots now while it's still cold. In time he should learn to go back into his heated room to heat up. I've never had a sulcata that didn't go back in their house to warm up during cold weather or to put themselves to bed at night in warm weather. Good Luck. PS I have 5 sulcatas of various sizes (up to 150 pounds) that live outside year round that have access to the outside weather elements and they usually come out daily.
Thank you so much for posting. I think that's a great idea. I will work on this while the weather is colder and see if I can get him to go back into his area to warm up on his own. If he gets in the habit of doing this now maybe he'll continue and do it throughout the summer. I'm so envious of you that you are able to have yours outside all the time.

Thomas tortoise

Arkansas
I don't know how to copy/paste from this Kindle that I'm using, but if you go to Amazon and search for Gorilla Cart, that's what I use. It has a dump feature that makes it easy to get the tortoise out.
Hey. I am getting a little off topic... Okay maybe a lot but @Yvonne G I also have a kindle and I have to go onto the website every time I go on the tortoise forum because I can't find a app. Do you know if I can somehow get the app? Or do I just need to keep going on Google to find TTF?

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Thank you so much for posting. I think that's a great idea. I will work on this while the weather is colder and see if I can get him to go back into his area to warm up on his own. If he gets in the habit of doing this now maybe he'll continue and do it throughout the summer. I'm so envious of you that you are able to have yours outside all the time.
I've learned a lot from watching my sulcatas over the years. I got my first one Walker in 1996. Another thing, try getting yours to follow a white paper plate. Walker does and I can get him to go wherever I want him to go while holding a paper plate.

Thomas tortoise

Arkansas
VrVry
I've learned a lot from watching my sulcatas over the years. I got my first one Walker in 1996. Another thing, try getting yours to follow a white paper plate. Walker does and I can get him to go wherever I want him to go while holding a paper plate
Why a paper plate? Why not a paper bowl?😂 but seriously. What do tortoises have with paper plates? Maybe it would work better if you use a piece of lettuce?

Anna Westphal

Dolores, Colorado
Paper plate? Worth a try. Thanks.
I am going to get one of the gorilla carts that Yvonne suggested. They look much lower to the ground than my wheel barrow and will make it safer to move him. I am so worried when I carry him that I might trip. I just need to measure Stella today to make sure I'm getting one big enough in anticipation of future growth.
I am also very encouraged by Donna who is still able to outsmart stubborn Sulcatas at 75. Maybe in another 10 years I will be as clever as Donna is.
Thanks to all! My original post was looking for information on re- homing possibilities but I am encouraged to keep trying to make Stella as comfortable as possible in our Colorado high desert.

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
VrVry

Why a paper plate? Why not a paper bowl?😂 but seriously. What do tortoises have with paper plates? Maybe it would work better if you use a piece of lettuce?
I think the white paper plate thing is that there might typically be food on it, and thus they associate the white paper plate with . . . "something to eat". and. . . they CAN be taught to return to their bed at dusk, or when it gets cold.
Some take to this naturally, others need a lil help, motivation, initially.
My old room mate had a 30#er "PeeWee" who knew how to get out of the house through the screen door, and migrate to the yard through the patio. He'd wander the yard then typically in late afternoon he would reverse the process and end up in his heated bed for the night...

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I am a 75 yr old woman 5'5 and 107 lbs. I live in the PNW and I too, have a 40 lb Sulcata. I have had bigger. Mary Knobbins is a rescue so she's not beautiful. I teach my Sulcata just like I might teach a dog. I had Bob in California, maybe 5 lbs...moved up here he got over 100....but I'm getting ahead of myself. I would use any food that he'd really go for. Bob's was strawberries...So daily I would use the treats in one hand and wiggling my fingers with the other....I would walk backwards to where ever I wanted him....it didn't take much time before he'd follow me without the treats. BUT...Bob was extremely social and very intelligent. I taught him to play soccer with a 5 gallon bucket. You can train Stella to do most stuff you want, you need treats, patience, and a relationship with the tort. Does he want to spend time w/you? Is he responsive to you?
This is where she lives in the winter 100_1491.JPG
it's 20'x12' heated and insulated it keeps 85 or over in the middle of a freeze. With the exception of extremely awful weather, I would open the doggie door for Bob and he'd check out the outside and come back in. Mary K doesn't like going out in the cold weather. In the in Oregon people don't tan they rust...Mary will go out in the rain, but not freezing or snow.... That snow storm was was not unusual but rare Mary takes herself back in the the shed now that I have taught her to do that but she's real stubborn and she's not very smart I don't think that to learn but she will go back inside when it's cold that's the most important thing to make them go back inside on their own when it's cold Anyway. the doggie door100_1362.JPG
this is the sleeping box with a pig blanket to sleep on. and there's enuf room for the tort to be in the box but not on the mat. I hope this helps some...Yes, in a perfect world all Sulcata would live at Tom/s but you can have yours if you are willing to put yourself out some.
100_0782.JPG