Pio...strange behavior

Status
Not open for further replies.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Staten Island, New York
Since Pio came in for the winter he is acting strange and I am a little worried. First he sat in his hide every day for a week, and didn't come out to eat, unless I took him out and then he only ate a few bites. Now he comes out every day and does something with this rock that is in his enclosure. He puts his two front feet on the rock and kind of lifts himself up and then goes down then back up. He does this for a while and then just sits in this position for the rest of the day and then goes for a drink and then into his hide for the rest of the night. He has been doing this now for three days. He isn't eating as much as he used to...except for cantaloupe which he loves. He just eats a little each day. I looked him all over and he looks good. If I offer him a worm then he runs for it...since the summer when he discovered them he just loves them. I have no idea what this new behavior is. I am getting a little nervous about this now.

007-15.jpg

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Terry just by looking at him I'm wondering if he's not trying to go farther then his tank will allow him. By that I mean when he was outside he could walk all over and under in the plants. Did you have something that he used to climb on? Do you think that he's trying to do that inside of his tank and then he ends up hitting the glass? Do you think he might just be trying to get out? I mean he looks very good and he is eating and drinking. I bet it's something that he got used to doing when he was outside and now it's a different enclosure. Just my guess. :shy:

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
No...he isn't trying to get out. When he does this it looks like he is going up and down....almost like rubbing himself on the little rock. Or doing push-ups. He was raised in the viv since he was 3 weeks old and has never tried to get out. He has plenty of room in there too. He has to walk all the way to the other side to get to his water dish and take a drink..It's so strange. I am just afraid he is going to damage his shell by this up and down rubbing. It reminds me of when a dog does this on your leg...ya know what I mean? Tomorrow I am going to move the rock to a different place and see if he goes to it. Thanks Candy.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Maybe he's practicing on the rock for when he gets a little bit older. If you know what I mean. :p My husband came home from Boys Scouts with my boys right now and I was telling him about Pio and he says that "maybe he just itches". :D Silly husband.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Pio is growing up Terry :D and has found himself a "love rock". He's definately at that stage to try out the equipment, so not strange at all. ;)

Danny

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
I agree.. it sounds like Pio is becoming a "young" Redfoot instead of a "youngster". Expect to see behavior that you've never seen before!

For the first few years of keeping these guys it was a regular - "What are you doing now???" thing. You really need to get a buddy for Pio Terry O.. hahaha. Your 'viv' will never be the same!

Terry K

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
AH HA! I was right. :p I thought that might be it. They grow up so fast don't they Terry. Just remember it's natural. :D

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Wow! Where has the time gone to???? I moved the rock last night and this AM....there he was again ...same position. He was only two years old in July. I guess that is his "love rock". Yuk!

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Poor Dale. Now I kind of feel bad because he doesn't even have a rock in his enclosure. :D

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Side note here...is this the same enclosure he's grown up in this whole time? Maybe it's time for a size upgrade and/or remodel of cage furnishings to peak his interest. Are temperatures the same? I'd be a little worried with the inactivity and decrease in appetite. How's his weight? Recent fecal test? Missing the space of outside? Best wishes.

Stazz

5 Year Member
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Hhahahaha love rock !!!! I love that, got such a laugh out of me ! People are staring at me at work hahaha. I sure hop Pio is doing okay otherwise Terry,he's just such a lovely looking tort.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Kate ...thisi is his third up-grade and he has plenty of room. Before he came in for the winter, I cleaned and replanted his whole enclosure. New plants, all new substrate ...everything. This is the third time I changed the place of the rock and he found it. Also, I think he was holding out for worms, as he was used to finding them outside. Today he finally seemes normal as far as eating goes. I just looked at him now to see if he finished eating everything and he did, but he is sitting next to his rock, but not on it....Maybe he misses Izzy...or maybe she got out just in time....

brymanda

5 Year Member
Florida
My little torts do "push-ups" occasionally and I read that it can be either them smelling, or it can be due to stress. Do you see the little sack on his neck inflate and deflate when he does push ups?

dreadyA

5 Year Member
southern cal.
You should be Proud of him:-D
Hey why kind of greens are growing in the substrate? You use plant lights?

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I have him in a planted vivarium. I throw in some Rose of Sharon seeds every now and then and he eats the sprouts...some get to grow. I have a few other plants in there...just regular house plants to hold in the humidity. Some Forest Floor sprinkled around and some leaf litter. Everything kind of mixed up (as he walks on it) makes it look woodesy in there.

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
More pictures Terry! Your Vivs are always so stunning. And by more, I mean like 10! (please!)

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
Terry,
I haven't been here for a short time and just read your post. I don't know torts that well, but when I read your original post and saw the words up and down, I must have a dirty mind, because that's what I first thought of!!! Yes yes lets see what I can copy, new picss!!! And I guess no Izzy yet eh?
Na

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
No Izzy, Nay. I had to give up for now because she probably dug under as it is really cold here...low 40's at night. Leaves are falling all over the place too. Hopefully ....maybe...in the Spring I will see her again.
Anyway...everyone is inside now for the winter and I just re-did all the enclosures....Everyone really keeps their little home very nice...except for Nolie. She usually trashes everything as she digs all over looking for pill bugs and worms. I never had a boxie that ate as much as she does. She is always searching for food and if she sees you she comes over from where ever she is for a hand out. So here's all the winter homes...nothing spectacular. I just added all the leaves today, and in a few days they will be trampled down enough to blend in the substrate and give it a woodsey look.

Nolie's house:

025-8.jpg

022-6.jpg

004-16.jpg

Pio's winter house...(with his love rock....I can't get over this one)
009-16.jpg

005-21.jpg

035-4.jpg

Chewy's home...(the sweetest most friendliest boxie I ever had)
026-4.jpg

019-3.jpg

002-18.jpg

037-1.jpg

I am starting a really big project now and hope it will be ready for Spring. My son is helping me make a big boxie garden with a little pond in it on the side of the house. I got my permit and Julie M. has promised me two Easterns from her rescue. I can't wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.