pinworms from outdoor enclosure??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nimbledoe

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
North Central Washington
How to eliminate pinworms from and outdoor enclosure.?? My 10+ year old female Russia Tort has recently slow down, not eating as much and sleeping way more than she has been. I took a stool sample into the vet and it came back as infested with pinworms.

During the day time I have her in an outdoor enclosure that I made. 8' x 16' It is nicely filled in with all the plants from the seeds I had ordered from Carolina. Ground is part dirt, part gravel, and part coco coir substrate mixed with Cyprus mulch. This is in and around all the plants which take up 3/4 of the enclosure.

I bring her in everyday to her indoor enclosure. If she has gotten the worms from her out door enclosure how do I take care of that?? I read all the forums about what to do t0 the indoor habitat and I will take care to that.
This was taken a month ago so it is even more grown in:

The other problem I am having is that Oakley will not eat 90% of the plants, only her favorites.....mostly the small clover type. Her urates have greatly increased since she has been outside as well.

Sure need some advice on what to do? Do I need to tear up the entire outdoor enclosure ????

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Pinworm eggs are airborne and everywhere. Nothing you can do about it. Treat what you've got and then test periodically to see if more treatment is necessary.

Clovers are high in protein. You need to soak more often to insure good hydration and you will probably need to supplement the diet with other good stuff. Leaves, weeds, and even spring mix, endive and escarole if need be, to reduce the amount of clover intake.

Nimbledoe

5 Year Member
North Central Washington
Tom said:
Pinworm eggs are airborne and everywhere. Nothing you can do about it. Treat what you've got and then test periodically to see if more treatment is necessary.

Clovers are high in protein. You need to soak more often to insure good hydration and you will probably need to supplement the diet with other good stuff. Leaves, weeds, and even spring mix, endive and escarole if need be, to reduce the amount of clover intake.

Thanks Tom. I do soak her most every morning for as long as she wants, 5 minutes to 20 minutes. She really enjoys her warm baths and drinks a fair amount. I was so excited to get away from the spring mix and have her indulge in the different outdoor plants....until I finally realized she was pretty much only eating the clover. She even turns down the different blossoms that have come up with some of the plants. So...I will take your advice and start feeding her before I put her out with the spring mix, etc. and see if that cuts down on the urates, which are very runny.

I guess after I get her clear of these pinworms, I will just have her poop tested twice a year?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Sounds like a good plan. Try finely mincing small amounts of the new "good" stuff and mixing it in with the spring mix or other grocery store greens. Tortoise are often creatures of habit and we sometimes have to desensitize them to new foods by starting with very small amounts and gradually adding more over weeks and months. Give it time.

Nimbledoe

5 Year Member
North Central Washington
Tom said:
Sounds like a good plan. Try finely mincing small amounts of the new "good" stuff and mixing it in with the spring mix or other grocery store greens. Tortoise are often creatures of habit and we sometimes have to desensitize them to new foods by starting with very small amounts and gradually adding more over weeks and months. Give it time.

OK, thanks, I'll do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.