Pigging out!

Bridgebob

Location (City and/or State)
Arlington, Virginia
I made a special feed for my EBT that consists of dried apple, crab and eggs and a little reptivite. She is pigging out!

I also sprinkle her bedding with essential oils and that's what she smells like. This is potent stuff so you only need a few drops maybe one or two times a month. I think she gets high on the aroma.

I don't how to tell if your Turtle or Tortoise is too fat. But my EBT is definitely 'robust' but still a baby.

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
That's a innovative mix of food....crab isn't on the Eastern Box turtles list of natural foods but either is steak or banana and I give them to mine. LOL

Essential oils, come'on Bob, are you fem or just like the smell? No judgements from me of all people, just curious.

Also, I don't think we are supposed to get out little friends "toasted", just ourselves....you might want to reduce the use if you really think she is getting stoned!

No doubt he's eating well though!!

Bridgebob

Arlington, Virginia
That's a innovative mix of food....crab isn't on the Eastern Box turtles list of natural foods but either is steak or banana and I give them to mine. LOL

Essential oils, come'on Bob, are you fem or just like the smell? No judgements from me of all people, just curious.

Also, I don't think we are supposed to get out little friends "toasted", just ourselves....you might want to reduce the use if you really think she is getting stoned!

Essential oils are very strong. Frankincense and myrrh are the ultimate. Although Myrrh is very expensive.

These are what the Wise Men brought to the manger for the baby Jesus.

I like the citrus, peppermint and clove. The smell of other true essential oil is overwhelming.

I think she gets high on it though.

I have to get her a new bulb. It's a pro restaurant light. It will take reptile basking lights easily.

Her LED light works great for UV. She's tanning up!

I dry up the egg fruit and crab in a dryer and for a little baby it's good for most of the year.

Bridgebob

Arlington, Virginia
My EBT is so spoiled that it reminds me of the Door's LA Woman!

Most young or old people won't remember this.

Steve McQueen in his 1968 Ford Mustang Bullitt GT!

I drove a GT between Carlsbad and El Paso! Went way over 100 mph before my friend told me to slow down.

The Car was rock solid and there was burnt rubber all over the wheel wells.

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
Yeah, some of us remember........and you remind me of an old girlfriends dad, he cooked for his cat....like elaborate cooking. His was passive though and it was his thing I guess.

What's your little guys name?

Bridgebob

Arlington, Virginia
You won't like HER name 'Carbuncle'. But perfectly appropriate for an EBT. I've seen HER eat a spider.

She's a baby and needs protein. I have a drier and it's even cheaper to feed her than pet store bought food.

You can pack a years worth of food in a small mason jar and freeze it. I put repetivite in the mix, just a little.

LED UV seems to be the ultimate for reptiles.

I think she's fat though. Can't tell.

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
Bob,

Get yourself a scale that reads in grams....and see what she weighs. I've posted Matilda's weights as she's grown so you can have something to compare to?

15 bucks from Mr Bezo's;

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B092W43Q25/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

You stumped me with "Carbuncle" though I was on the right track with "hmmm, some kind of surface deformity.......I had to Startpage the definition;

"A carbuncle is a cluster of boils caused by bacterial infection, most commonly with Staphylococcus aureu"

Help me out brother, how did you connect the dots to name her, Carbuncle? LOL

Bridgebob

Arlington, Virginia
She got run over by a bicycle when I found her. Her front left foot was amputated and her rear foot was broken.

She's doing fine now. But I know her front left foot is still sensitive.

I am weighing her and she is gaining weight - not so much during the winter months though.

When she's is hungry she gives me the EYEBALL. Sometimes she goes wild and other times she just nibbles and goes to sleep

I think LED UV is the ultimate. She suntans under it for hours and then crawls into her cave.

Bridgebob

Arlington, Virginia

She loves the smell of essential oils.

I just put a few drops in her substrate. And she instantly responds.

You can use these for for cooking. A drop in olive oil of essential oregano, basil, rosemary, lime on top of pasta is the best!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Since turtles and tortoises depend upon their sense of smell to get them through life I don't think you're doing Carbuncle any favors by inundating her sense of smell. What you see as 'instantly responds' might be her trying to find a place away from the scent.

Bridgebob

Arlington, Virginia
Since turtles and tortoises depend upon their sense of smell to get them through life I don't think you're doing Carbuncle any favors by inundating her sense of smell. What you see as 'instantly responds' might be her trying to find a place away from the scent.
I just put a few drops now and then in her substrate. Eastern Box Turtles exist in a complex vegetative environment, they must have a scent memory of thousands of plants. Leaving her in just a coconut coir substrate with no extra aroma stimulus may be bad. I know she lights up when I pour a few drops in.

She's doing fine. She can escape to her cave whenever she wants to.