ebt burmation

stinax182

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Springfield, Massachusetts
this is my first winter with my adult ebt and i don't know if the previous owner burmated her. she has been eating until a couple weeks ago. now even when i drag her out and put her in the dish she ignores it and buries herself again. should i stop feeding her and let her be or continue dragging her out?

TortCrazy

It's too late to start hibernation. Many are already coming up. You better do some research and try for next year.

mikeh

5 Year Member
Re: RE: ebt burmation

stinax182 said:
this is my first winter with my adult ebt and i don't know if the previous owner burmated her. she has been eating until a couple weeks ago. now even when i drag her out and put her in the dish she ignores it and buries herself again. should i stop feeding her and let her be or continue dragging her out?

If she was eating well in the fall and prior to her wanting to hibernate, I would let her be for some down period. If she truly hasn't eaten in couple weeks now then her digestive track has emptied out and she can rest for next couple weeks.

What are the enclosure temps right now? You will need to lower the temperature to 55-60F
or as close as you can, so she slows down burning calories. This is important.

I would dig her out once a week weigh her, and soak her in lukewarm water for 20 mins so she can rehydrate if she needs to, asses that she is alert and healthy then let her go back to dig down.

The substrate she is dug in should be moist, not dry, but not soaking wet. It should be a mix of top soil, leaf and forest litter, with some peat moss is ok too, cococoir is fine. Something that holds moisture.

I would let her have around 3 weeks at this point, then raise the temps, slowly wake her up soak her well in warm water and offer favorite food.