Pictures in S.africa of P.Pardalis!!

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
SWFL
Wonderful photos! Thanks so much for sharing!

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
Guess what this is guys?!? It's a freshly emerged baby!! My friend is so darn lucky!! He said the guide made him release it immediately after a few quick pictures. He hasn't been able to send me any other pics yet. Enjoy you leopard lovers :)ImageUploadedByTortForum1394138003.821169.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Wow! THAT is a very rare sight in the wild! Very cool.

More please.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I just love seeing the pictures of wild tortoises, and your friend is SO lucky to be there and see them in nature.

BUT!!!

I cringe every time I see the picture with him holding the tortoise. Please ask him to photograph the tortoises on the ground and don't pick them up.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
And tell him he needs to stop all that other stuff he's doing and just follow that baby around all day. We need to know: what it eats, where does it hang out and at what times, where does it sleep at night, what the daily highs and lows are right now, ambient humidity there, etc... That won't be a problem right? :)

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
Tom said:

More please.

Trust me I'm hoping for more to. That hatchilng picture made my year. Such an awesome experience for him. He said it was crossing the road and luckily they were driving very slow. He's got eyes like me and can spot a turtle on the road a mile away lol. It's killing him to not be able to keep any but it's ok because he is getting one as soon as he is back in the states.

Yvonne G said:
I just love seeing the pictures of wild tortoises, and your friend is SO lucky to be there and see them in nature.

BUT!!!

I cringe every time I see the picture with him holding the tortoise. Please ask him to photograph the tortoises on the ground and don't pick them up.

I made that request for you Yvonne. As you can tell he is a high energy excited kinda guy.

Tom said:
And tell him he needs to stop all that other stuff he's doing and just follow that baby around all day. We need to know: what it eats, where does it hang out and at what times, where does it sleep at night, what the daily highs and lows are right now, ambient humidity there, etc... That won't be a problem right? :)

I told him to secure a web cam on the babies shell that way we can monitor it's habits for the next 100 years and each leopard ethusiast can watch 24/7-365 on TFO exclusive! :D

Sh3wulf

5 Year Member
diamondbp said:
Tom said:

More please.

Trust me I'm hoping for more to. That hatchilng picture made my year. Such an awesome experience for him. He said it was crossing the road and luckily they were driving very slow. He's got eyes like me and can spot a turtle on the road a mile away lol. It's killing him to not be able to keep any but it's ok because he is getting one as soon as he is back in the states.

Yvonne G said:

BUT!!!

I made that request for you Yvonne. As you can tell he is a high energy excited kinda guy.

Tom said:

I told him to secure a web cam on the babies shell that way we can monitor it's habits for the next 100 years and each leopard ethusiast can watch 24/7-365 on TFO exclusive! :D

Fantastic!! Lol

I'm totally jel on your buddies experience! That baby was amazing. Did he happen to mention if there were any others in the vicinity. Wondering how far they roam and how quickly.

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
Sh3wulf said:
diamondbp said:
Tom said:

More please.

Yvonne G said:

BUT!!!

Tom said:

Fantastic!! Lol

I'm totally jel on your buddies experience! That baby was amazing. Did he happen to mention if there were any others in the vicinity. Wondering how far they roam and how quickly.

No he didn't say but I'm sure if he had run across another one he would have told me and sent pictures. I just can't get over how lucky he is to find a freshly emerged hatchling in the wild. I mean what are the odds?!?

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
More pictures of the hatchling I just got from my buddy. Doesn't this make you do happy to see?! He is one lucky fella. I hope that baby turns into a beautiful adult that makes tons of babies.ImageUploadedByTortForum1394168497.167848.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1394168507.904274.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1394168519.232472.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I wanna soak it and clean it up... I'm only a little OCD...

Seriously though, can you ask him what the weather is like? Humidity and temps? Was there a recent rain?

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
Tom said:
I wanna soak it and clean it up... I'm only a little OCD...

Seriously though, can you ask him what the weather is like? Humidity and temps? Was there a recent rain?

I'll find out. He is working shift work so sometimes it's a night. He said its fun but exhausting and he is ready to come home. He said finding the tortoises has made it easier to stay lol

"Day from 80-110s something. Night 65-70s. It does have some humidity but not bad like home. It's been raining every now and then bout once a week or so."

That's what he just sent me. That's definitely good info to know when obviously this is when hatchlings emerge.

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
I asked him to take some close up pictures of the ground and various plants to give us a better idea of the ground substrate the babies live on. He said he will take some tomorrow because the sun is going down over there.

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
Here are the close up pictures of the terrain pardalis inhabit. This should give us some good insight into what the babies deal with once out the nest.ImageUploadedByTortForum1394337987.695590.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1394337998.942676.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1394338012.087808.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Seriously. We need to take up a TFO money pool and buy a nice dinner for you and your friend for all these pics and info. I just can't thank you enough. This is such a treat.

Tell your buddy dinner and beer is on us when he gets back.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
When Tom says, “us" he's referring to him and the tortoise in his pocket.
All joking aside, I, too, am enjoying and gaining from this thread and pictures. Thank you…

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
diamondbp said:
Here are the close up pictures of the terrain pardalis inhabit. This should give us some good insight into what the babies deal with once out the nest.

Thank you for sharing all of those valuable pictures to us. I mostly enjoy especially the habitat pictures above. Did your friends happen to shot more of them? Hope he also bumped into some hatchling nest and took some pictures :)

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
Tom said:
Seriously. We need to take up a TFO money pool and buy a nice dinner for you and your friend for all these pics and info. I just can't thank you enough. This is such a treat.

Tell your buddy dinner and beer is on us when he gets back.

You can send money but I'll use it for diapers and wipes lol. I'm glad yall are enjoying it. It stinks that he hasnt found anything more the last few days and he will be coming home sometime next week. I was really hoping he would find that rare albino sunset hypo melanistic siamese female.:p

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
Some new interesting facts. He said a cold front is coming through since it's their fall right now. The temps will drop from the 80-100 during the day to 45-55 with the nights dropping from 65-75 all the way into the 30s! Thats nuts. He also said their was a good bit of rain associated with the front, 2-3 inches. It's incredible that the pardalis can handle that. Especially for a freshly emerged hatchilng to deal with it. I would imagine that a certain percentage of hatchlings overwinter in the nest. I knew the temps down their got cold but he said the locals say that it gets into the teens sometimes during the winter. It makes me wonder what the adults do? Burrow? Find a burrow?

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I just got caught up on this thread...where have I been??? :shy:
This information is very neat. I'd love to include your buddy's photos in my Leopard presentation.

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
Team Gomberg said:
I just got caught up on this thread...where have I been??? :shy:
This information is very neat. I'd love to include your buddy's photos in my Leopard presentation.

Shame on ya! lol Use all the photos you want. He is bummed because he hasn't found on since it's cooled off and he is about to leave for home.