Pics of my babies (literally, the two hatchlings lol)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Cadillac, Michigan
"Snack Bite" was looking a bit like she was starting to not be so smooth, even with daily multiple mistings, so I made her a little viv of her own to bump the humidity up a few more notches.

KristinasPictures4098.jpg

Here she is emerging from HER burrow, that she made completely on her own, a few minutes after "lights on" in the morning. She returns to the same burrow every time she wants to sleep, which is still quite often.

KristinasPictures4094.jpg

The plants are white clover, wild violet, broad leaf plantain, dandelion, and wild strawberry. The substrate is potting soil covered with just a thin layer of coconut coir.

And who could forget this handsome bugger... Growing like an absolute WEED!

KristinasPictures4108.jpg

Enjoying a hibiscus right in the comfort of his own vivarium :)

KristinasPictures4029.jpg

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
Snack Bite (which I first read as Snake Bite) looks very happy in her new set-up. I love this forum because I learn SO MUCH! I have a yard full of wild violet, and now I know how to use it :) Edna

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Oh my gosh Kristina they are beautiful. I love the little one coming out of the hide and all of the plants around him. He must love that. Wow the one that you got from Nerd is beautiful. Wow he's getting big already. :)

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Can you please come to my house and plant an enclosure for Nelson? :p Snack Bite's little home looks incredible!
LOVE the hibiscus picture!! Gorgeous babies :D

tobibaby

5 Year Member
SoCal
ok im a new tort owner and i love what u have done to his house... can u tell me how u did it i would really appreciate it.. pleeeeeeeeeeeease tobi would really appreciate it..
as you can see from his house pics he would really love plants in there..

nathalie :D

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    40.6 KB · Views: 22
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    63.6 KB · Views: 26

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Kristina, I'm loving that vivarium. It looks great! I was searching for some broad leaf plantain, all over my neighborhood, ever since you mentioned about the vit. A. content.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
TortyQueen said:
Snack Bite (which I first read as Snake Bite) looks very happy in her new set-up. I love this forum because I learn SO MUCH! I have a yard full of wild violet, and now I know how to use it :) Edna

They really love the wild violet, the little Cherryhead is absolutely gaga over it. Not to mention it is quite pretty when it flowers :)

My husband started calling her "Snack Bite." Right after I got her I had to go away for the weekend, so I took her with me. I took a tub and heat lamp and the works, but while we were actually traveling I used a Gladware snack size container to keep her in. So that is where that came from, lol. One of these days she will get a big girl name :)

ChiKat said:
Can you please come to my house and plant an enclosure for Nelson? :p Snack Bite's little home looks incredible!
LOVE the hibiscus picture!! Gorgeous babies :D

It's so easy Katie, I bet if you tried you would be amazed how good it would turn out ;) I grow flats and containers of weeds, and I just transplanted them into the tank.

tobibaby said:
ok im a new tort owner and i love what u have done to his house... can u tell me how u did it i would really appreciate it.. pleeeeeeeeeeeease tobi would really appreciate it..
as you can see from his house pics he would really love plants in there..

nathalie :D

It was really, really simple. I just put potting soil in the bottom of the tank, dug holes in it and planted the weeds that I had already dug up, and then sprinkled coconut coir around in between the plants. After I watered and sprayed a couple of times, any coir that was on the leaves of the plants fell off.

ForPhilbert

5 Year Member
Naples, FL
This looks amazing! So do you grow all those plants outside and then transplant them every so often? Do the plants that are in the tank keep growing or do they only last a few days? I have been wanting to give my tort some REAL weeds and plants rather than giving him store bought produce every time.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I do grow plants outdoors in the summer, and then inside during the winter. As of yet, all the plants in there are the same original ones that I planted, she eats a little bit here and a little bit there for the most part. One thing you have to realize though is how tiny she is... A bigger tortoise would mow those down in no time.

KristinasPictures3877.jpg

She is at least half again as big as she was when I took this pic, but still, that is a tiny tortoise!

goReptiles

10 Year Member!
That really is a nice redfoot. I hope you continue posting pictures as he grows.

Status
Not open for further replies.