Phrynops hilarii

SteveW

This may turn out to be a moot question as medical issues are clouding my plans for behavioral studies, but my academic friend suggested increasing the subject mater diversity.
Any one experienced with Argentine side necks? I can’t tell if this would be an interesting inclusion or an interesting way to lose a finger. (Realize these outcomes are not mutually exclusive, but you see where I am going with this)
Suggestions are welcome.

BornInTheBoot

Location (City and/or State)
DeRidder, La
This may turn out to be a moot question as medical issues are clouding my plans for behavioral studies, but my academic friend suggested increasing the subject mater diversity.
Any one experienced with Argentine side necks? I can’t tell if this would be an interesting inclusion or an interesting way to lose a finger. (Realize these outcomes are not mutually exclusive, but you see where I am going with this)
Suggestions are welcome.
Honestly I don't understand at all what you are asking. Im not the sharpest of minds but if you could try to reiterate it for me id appreciate it

SteveW

Sure. Do you have any experience with Phrynops hilarii? I’m curious about the behavior and/or aggression

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I've had this one in my pond for 8 or 10 years. She's not as aggressive as the soft shells, but she does come out of the water, chasing me for food. the pond is just on the other side of the Aldabran tortoises' yard:

phrynops hillari 02-25-15.jpg
Phrynops hillari 3-13-17.jpg

Phrynops hillari 7-5-12 a.jpg

Phrynops hillari 7-5-12 b.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
She was full grown when I got her. She's about 15" front to back.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
The species name of this turtle, hilarii, cracks me up. It sounds very close to the word ‘hilarious’ which makes me think the turtle must have a good sense of humor...[emoji38]

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
I've had this one in my pond for 8 or 10 years. She's not as aggressive as the soft shells, but she does come out of the water, chasing me for food. the pond is just on the other side of the Aldabran tortoises' yard:

View attachment 236787
View attachment 236788

View attachment 236789

View attachment 236790

that is a very cool turtle .......I believe you said you've had ice on your pond and she does fine ? wish I had time and room , she looks pretty intelligent/interactive .......

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
that is a very cool turtle .......I believe you said you've had ice on your pond and she does fine ? wish I had time and room , she looks pretty intelligent/interactive .......
They don't actually hibernate, however, the cold doesn't seem to bother them. One year several years ago the pond actually had a thin coat of ice all the way across. That was the only time that happened. The dog water and horse water troughs always have ice, but only once in the 20 + years I've been here for the pond.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
that's still pretty cold , something like that could stay out here till November ..... I remember when you said that , I looked at their range , it went way south of the equator , like the southern U.S. type latitude , really nice turtle ........