Phoenix Extreme Heat

LostRock

Hi there,

I am brand new to any kind of tortoise/turtle forum. I've kept box turtles all my life. I know this might shock some of you, but my box turtles have always lived in my backyard. I've had 2/3 turtles live in my yard for almost a decade. They come to our porch when they are hungry, as they learn this is where they are provided with food. I have one eastern box turtle, one Mexican box turtle, and one ornate box turtle. They are all males. Anyways.

I live in Phoneix and I've always been worried about the high temperatures that we get here. Sometimes I mention to my mother that I worry about them in the heat, and she usually responds by being annoyed with me for being obsessive. My dad turns on the sprinklers for them in the morning. My concern is we're expecting a big heat wave this weekend. It will reach 120F. I'm concerned about them, regardless that my mom thinks I'm crazy. What is your opinion?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Hello. I'm in the UK so don't have direct experience of your climate!

Typically when temperatures are very high, a tort will aestivate - sort of summer hibernation - They find a shady spot under a bush or in a burrow and shut down. It's not unusual for torts to become active only at dawn and dusk in these periods. Torts can overheat in direct sun. Does your yard have good shade?

They can also dehydrate. Can they self soak freely (an upturned trash can lid sunk into the ground makes a good soaking pool). If they can't self soak then you must give them good long soaks - half hour minimum - twice a day.

LostRock

Interesting. I should invest in a trash can lid, or something similar. I've noticed that they do "reverse" hibernate during the very hot and dry summer days. I just worry about them. They have tons of areas with shade. I've built large pots on their sides for them to go in, lots of bushes they love with leaves, the porch, also built a long "shelf" against the house for them to go under.... Etc.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A warm welcome to the forum!

I live in Jordan (the Middle East) where the climate is extremely DRY Summer and Winter alike.Therefore I soak Oli two to three times a day, so as to avoid dehydration as well as pyramiding. And I spray his enclosure with water at least one every 24 hours.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

Does the yard your turtles live in have lots of shrubs and plants? This is what 'saves' turtles and tortoises during heat waves. The fact that your dad turns on the sprinklers helps too. So, a waterer big enough for them to climb into and out of, shrubs and plants and lots of watering. They should be ok.

I'd love to see pictures, especially the Mexican. I've never seen a Mexican box turtle.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You are right to be concerned. They could die in heat like that.

Sprinklers, misters, and lots and lots of shade.

Morning sprinklers are good, but afternoon sprinkler sessions could literally be a life saver.

Leddagger16

Arizona
I'm also from phoenix and this is my second summer with my desert torts. In this weather I would soak them once a day and have multiple shallow water dishes near their hiding spots in the yard. Mine also seem to do a sort of "summer Hibernation" on hot days. They will come out in the mornings until about 11:00am and then hide for most of the day. They really enjoy walking through the sprinklers.

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
It is 97 right now , and Speedy is soaking in a nice tub of water in the shade ! Got his legs all stretched out , just loving it ! Looks like a commercial for "how to beat the heat" ! :D