Pet monkey

georgeandbessy

Hi my brother wants to buy a monkey!!! :( I don't know if this is a good idea?? Anyone have a monkey and any advice? :)

Rue

Location (City and/or State)
Canada
No to monkeys. They do not make good pets. They require expensive habitats and a huge time commitment. They are very high maintenance and stressful to keep.

The novelty wears off quickly.

georgeandbessy

No to monkeys. They do not make good pets. They require expensive habitats and a huge time commitment. They are very high maintenance and stressful to keep.

Oh I know the novelty will wear off the monkey, Like it did with his dogs and daughter. I'm pretty sure I will end up with it but I wouldn't keep it. Where can you send an unwanted monkey? Anyone want a monkey?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi my brother wants to buy a monkey!!! :( I don't know if this is a good idea?? Anyone have a monkey and any advice? :)

They aren't your typical low maintenance pet, but I love them. I've worked with several species for many years. Apes too. Does your brother have the space, time and resources to handle that sort of exotic animal? Does he have the necessary permits all lined up? Has he talked to experienced monkey trainers to learn what is involved and all the things that can go wrong?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Oh I know the novelty will wear off the monkey, Like it did with his dogs and daughter. I'm pretty sure I will end up with it but I wouldn't keep it. Where can you send an unwanted monkey? Anyone want a monkey?

If you brother is that type of person, then no a monkey is not for him. Monkeys are not suitable pets for most people, but some people do it and do it well.

georgeandbessy

They aren't your typical low maintenance pet, but I love them. I've worked with several species for many years. Apes too. Does your brother have the space, time and resources to handle that sot of exotic animal? Does he have the necessary permits all lined up? Has he talked to experienced monkey trainers to learn what is involved and all the things that can go wrong?
My brother would buy a monkey illegally, let it roam free then dump it on me! What do I do then????

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA

Just wondering. From any experience or just what a zoo or wildlife place might have said?
I ask because if it's a zoo or wildlife place, they would probably say close to the same thing with us keeping tortoises. They seem to want to be the only ones allowed. At least some of them.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My brother would buy a monkey illegally, let it roam free then dump it on me! What do I do then????

Tough call. Family, you know…

You guys have some sort of public animal control agency over there don't you? I would turn it in to them. Whether or not you tell them the source will be up to you. I would do everything possible to discourage your brother from being this callous and irresponsible to a living animal. Not judging. I think we all have family members guilty of some reprehensible behavior at times. I sure do.

georgeandbessy

If you brother is that type of person, then no a monkey is not for him. Monkeys are not suitable pets for most people, but some people do it and do it well.
He is that kind of person, the idiot type. What do I do with it when it's passed to me?

georgeandbessy

Tough call. Family, you know…

You guys have some sort of public animal control agency over there don't you? I would turn it in to them. Whether or not you tell them the source will be up to you. I would do everything possible to discourage your brother from being this callous and irresponsible to a living animal. Not judging. I think we all have family members guilty of some reprehensible behavior at times. I sure do.
Please feel free to judge! There's nothing I can do to discourage him I just wanted to know what to do next.
Thank you

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Please feel free to judge! There's nothing I can do to discourage him I just wanted to know what to do next.
Thank you
If you can't talk him out of it, find out what the laws are. Either tell him you will turn him in if he gets one. Or turn him in if he gets one. If he does it illegally.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I want a monkey. I could train it to be my butler.

Rue

Canada
Just wondering. From any experience or just what a zoo or wildlife place might have said?
I ask because if it's a zoo or wildlife place, they would probably say close to the same thing with us keeping tortoises. They seem to want to be the only ones allowed. At least some of them.

No personal experience keeping a monkey myself. I know better. Just 35 years of hanging out with various folks in various fields of biology.

georgeandbessy

If you can't talk him out of it, find out what the laws are. Either tell him you will turn him in if he gets one. Or turn him in if he gets one. If he does it illegally.
Well he has only been arrested twice this year so another night in jail may make a difference. Though needless to say my stepmother will have him out within a few hours.
Arrrrrr I hate my bloody brother!!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I want a monkey. I could train it to be my butler.

You know how I train protection dogs? I've always wanted to train a "protection baboon". How cool would that be? I don't think it would take much training. Its their natural instinct to protect, but you'd have to build their confidence a bit. I've never been able to figure out an adequate protective suit for the training partners though… A dog bite suit would not be nearly enough...

georgeandbessy

You know how I train protection dogs? I've always wanted to train a "protection baboon". How cool would that be? I don't think it would take much training. Its their natural instinct to protect, but you'd have to build their confidence a bit. I've never been able to figure out an adequate protective suit for the training partners though… A dog bite suit would not be nearly enough...
Do you have a monkey:)

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Tbat's even better than a monkey butler. I now know what I want for Christmas.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Do you have a monkey:)

I don't own my own, but I've worked with many. I train animals for movies and TV. Once in a while I get to work on a monkey or ape job. In years past I helped raise chimps, orangutans, rhesus macaques, and I've done many jobs with all of those and baboons, capuchins, and a few others. In school I worked with an olive baboon, and I worked with hamadryus baboon for a few years too.

This is a hamadryus/olive cross that belongs to a couple of friend's of mine.
IMG_0664.JPG IMG_0674.JPG IMG_0672.JPG