Pet Grass

alisha.fern

Has anyone tried re-potting Organic pet grass? I know online it says that you can't repot it, but maybe that's a lie? If anyone has sucessfully repotted, what type of soil did you use? It says these are only made to last a couple weeks, but I'd love to see it last longer. Thanks in advance!ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1409252550.764695.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1409252562.481302.jpg

alisha.fern

Has anyone tried re-potting Organic pet grass? I know online it says that you can't repot it, but maybe that's a lie? If anyone has sucessfully repotted, what type of soil did you use? It says these are only made to last a couple weeks, but I'd love to see it last longer. Thanks in advance!ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1409252638.897318.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1409252645.980507.jpg

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Dubai/New York
Has anyone tried re-potting Organic pet grass? I know online it says that you can't repot it, but maybe that's a lie? If anyone has sucessfully repotted, what type of soil did you use? It says these are only made to last a couple weeks, but I'd love to see it last longer. Thanks in advance!View attachment 93753View attachment 93754
I found some helpful info on a gardening forum:
1-"'Cat grass' isn't turf grass. It's usually a seed crop, like oats, barley, or wheat.

When sprouted so closely together, the plants become rootbound and die quickly after exhausting the energy reserves that powered their initial growth." So if your going to repot, chose a larger container...

2-"If I remember the way round the influences are, that would be too much nitrogen (stimulating foliage growth) and not enough potassium (so poor root growth). Try mixing some wood ash with the soil." Don't out too much, it alters soil PH...
This is also a helpful link:
http://healthymartin.com/how-to-grow-wheatgrass-growing-instructions-with-picture/
It may be possible, but I am not sure :)

alisha.fern

I found some helpful info on a gardening forum:
1-"'Cat grass' isn't turf grass. It's usually a seed crop, like oats, barley, or wheat.

When sprouted so closely together, the plants become rootbound and die quickly after exhausting the energy reserves that powered their initial growth." So if your going to repot, chose a larger container...

2-"If I remember the way round the influences are, that would be too much nitrogen (stimulating foliage growth) and not enough potassium (so poor root growth). Try mixing some wood ash with the soil." Don't out too much, it alters soil PH...
This is also a helpful link:
http://healthymartin.com/how-to-grow-wheatgrass-growing-instructions-with-picture/
It may be possible, but I am not sure :)

Thank you for your input!!!

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kingman, Arizona
I'm guessing it is wheat grass. Grass survives from seed or if not able to go to seed, say from grazing, it will spread by roots. In that wheat has been grown for its seed crop and not as a ground cover, this could be the issue.
I suggest you also look for organic wheat berries and sprout your own. Plant it in trays in a sunny window, and keep it from drying out and then you could put the tray in the habitat below surface where your tortoise can get to it.