Pests

CGavron

Location (City and/or State)
West Mifflin, Pa
My daughter noticed when feeding our tort yesterday these tiny little white bugs around the food area. How do I get rid of them and prevent them. Will they harm our Scooter? Can anyone help?30201.jpeg

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
They are good for your substrate. They eat leftover food and poop. They are called 'spring tails' They are good for everything and don't hurt anything

CGavron

West Mifflin, Pa
Oh good thank you. I was worried because I just went through and cleaned and replaced the substrate last Thursday then all of a sudden I get a phone call at work lol. She panics easy and I told her I would make some inquiries. Thanks again?

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Oh good thank you. I was worried because I just went through and cleaned and replaced the substrate last Thursday then all of a sudden I get a phone call at work lol. She panics easy and I told her I would make some inquiries. Thanks again?
I moved to Oregon from California. I have trouble finding substrate here that does not have pine or cedar in it. Oregon is a major timber state so I thought it would be easy. So in the 15 years I have lived in Oregon, I have had to travel to Fresno Calif to get substrate. (1600 mi round trip) I have had the same substrate in a few of my indoor habitats the whole time I have lived here. It doesn't hurt anything. You are just wasting substrate by changing it out. I 'spot clean' daily.

Last edited: