PLEASE HELP! BUGS!

Tank & Scooter

Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles
I came up to enclosure today and can see these super tiny little white bugs walking up plexiglas towards light. When they get close to light, they jump or explode off wall. They are also cracking and jumping around under light, they look like popcorn cooking. I suspect they might be termites, any idea ? Please help, bugs are to small for pics, but you can see them. They are the white dust. 20180517_095153.jpg

Tank & Scooter

Los Angeles
I came up to enclosure today and can see these super tiny little white bugs walking up plexiglas towards light. When they get close to light, they jump or explode off wall. They are also cracking and jumping around under light, they look like popcorn cooking. I suspect they might be termites, any idea ? Please help, bugs are to small for pics, but you can see them. They are the white dust. View attachment 238925
Im so freaking pissed. I take so much care. Just for some cross contamination. NEVER BRINGING ANYTHING FROM OUTSIDE IN AGAIN

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
They're not termites. They're springtails. . .the bane of every tortoise-keeper's existence. There's nothing you can do about them. I think the eggs come with the soil, bought soil or soil from the yard. In fact, last night when walking down to my mailbox, the wind blew quite a few of them onto me, which means, I bring them into the house too.

madbad

Sacramento, Ca
They look like Springtails to me, if so, they are harmless and eat your torts poo and leftover food. They love humidity and rotting stuff so...at least that means you have good humidity? If they are spring tails, they could easily have come in through the cracks in your doors and the holes in your screens, they are SO tiny.

The only real control for springtails that isn't pesticide based is reducing humidty...not really an option here.

Tank & Scooter

Los Angeles
They're not termites. They're springtails. . .the bane of every tortoise-keeper's existence. There's nothing you can do about them. I think the eggs come with the soil, bought soil or soil from the yard. In fact, last night when walking down to my mailbox, the wind blew quite a few of them onto me, which means, I bring them into the house too.
Can they eat my tortoise? Im freaking out. I don't have money for new substrate. I don't know what to do.

madbad

Sacramento, Ca
In fact they are probably controlling other pests by eating all of the food and poo particles you cant see so they don't mold/rot

Tank & Scooter

Los Angeles
They look like Springtails to me, if so, they are harmless and eat your torts poo and leftover food. They love humidity and rotting stuff so...at least that means you have good humidity? If they are spring tails, they could easily have come in through the cracks in your doors and the holes in your screens, they are SO tiny.

The only real control for springtails that isn't pesticide based is reducing humidty...not really an option here.
Omg I so nervous. But this is common among tortoise enclosures? I feel way better

madbad

Sacramento, Ca
there are so many different kinds of springtail and they are so tiny, its hard to find a good picture of them online that matches, amiright?

Tank & Scooter

Los Angeles
Thanks guys, I walked away and came back and they're all gone. They must live under the dirt huh ? Thanks everybody. I honestly almost pooped my pants. 1526579477967.jpg