Persistent bladder infection

jockma

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles County
Bean’s flagellate issues have been resolved with 2 rounds of Flagyl, but his cloudy/smelly urine has not gone away. A second blood test showed his infection was WORSE.

He’s had a course of Cipro and I just finished a course of Fortaz. He is asymptomatic aside from the urine issues and keeping his tail always slightly distended, so I won’t know if the Fortaz worked until I get another blood test but just looking at/smelling the urine I know he’s still not well. I haven’t filled his enclosure with substrate because his distended tail suggests to me he might still be prolapsing when peeing/pooping, and I don’t want substrate getting stuck on his penis and causing him to strain like before.

He’s had this issue for MONTHS. I hate feeling like this. He’s eating and drinking normally but if this doesn’t get resolved he’s going to go downhill eventually. I have to leave him for 2 weeks at the vet when I go overseas for the holidays so they will be able to test/treat him there as needed. I have already spent over $1000 on treating him so far. I really need help.

Has anyone had an issue with resistant infections like this? How did it get resolved eventually?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I think Bean is a Redfoot. What is he eating and in what proportions? Too much sugary food can be at the root of bladder problems and I am wondering if his diet has too much fruit in it.

jockma

5 Year Member
Los Angeles County
@JoesMum he is getting mostly leafy greens, only about 10% of his diet is fruit right now but I am feeding him some colorful vegetables/“technically” fruit (like peppers, yams, carrots) that may have too much sugar...should I feed him 0% fruit/sweeter veggies and feed ONLY greens?

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
It doesn't sound like too much fruit/sugar is the problem ... maybe try adding some papaya, hibiscus flowers, or even some cranberry to your tort's diet, they're loaded with vitamins and antioxidants and such.

Just a thought.

Jamie

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Have they tested and cultured the urine? I don't know that cloudy or smelly urine is any indication of a problem. Cloudy urine means the tortoise is well hydrated and is passing its waste products vs. concentrating them into urates.

If the behavior is normal and the appetite is good, I would just keep an eye on things and not worry about the urine. Antibiotics and medicines can take a terrible toll on them, and it may just be that your tortoises body is trying to regain its equilibrium and balance out its internal flora and fauna again.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I've noticed that my sulcata's urine smells stronger when he's not well hydrated. You might try soaking more often, and spritzing water over his food daily.

jockma

5 Year Member
Los Angeles County
@jsheffield Cranberry is a GREAT idea, he has been so picky lately because he doesn’t get much fruit with his greens and it takes him a long time before he caves in and eats his meals so adding cranberries would = 2 birds 1 stone.

@Tom I will be getting a culture done when I put him in boarding so hopefully we can knock out the infection. His blood test showed he was well-hydrated but I assume the infection is located somewhere in his urinary tract because all of his symptoms are concentrated around urination (frequently peeing, STRONG fishy urine odor, brown/dark yellow-colored urine, straining while peeing). I’m afraid his urinary issues began before the antibiotics/Flagyl, I fed him the same greens then but he had clear, almost odorless urine.

@Yvonne G He is getting soaked once a day, and he has a terra-cotta saucer of water that he sits in whenever he likes. My schedule is hectic right now but I’m going to start soaking him 2x a day just in case. I run his greens under drinking water before feeding to give him as much water as possible. Is there anything else I can do? I don’t want to soak his food in water because I don’t want bacteria to grow, he will wait an hour to protest when I feed him because I don’t give as much fruit.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
flagellate infections can affect the kidneys , it may take some time for them to recover ...…. maybe you'd get something from these pdf's to think about . the researchgate ones you'll need to download the full pdf ,with the blue box on the upper right hand side of your screen , and then open the pdf …….. a urine culture may not be helpful as to identifying a responsible bacteria …... turtle and tortoise urine is contaminated with lots of bacteria that is not present in the urinary tract …….

https://www.researchgate.net/profil..._TORTOISES/links/54fd94cb0cf270426d129ae4.pdf

https://cdn.ymaws.com/members.arav.org/resource/resmgr/Files/Proceedings_2000/2000_51.pdf

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/261514105_Renal_flagellate_infections_in_reptiles_29_cases

jockma

5 Year Member
Los Angeles County
@mark1 I initially was worried he had Hexamita, which terrified me, but considering how he’s had this issue for months and bloodwork hasn’t shown any sign of kidney damage I can (fingers crossed) assume it’s not that. I don’t know about other flagellate issues that specifically target the urinary tract, though.

The vet said he’s eating well and active, so the urinary issues may be from his body being under stress from the flagellate issue and just needs time to recover. Basically, I should leave him alone for a while...I gave the go-ahead for bloodwork in 2 weeks or as needed if his condition deteriorates. It feels like nobody is worried but me, so hopefully he’s gonna be fine!