Peeling

Status
Not open for further replies.

miss_kristyn

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Texas
Zayco's head is peeling. It is just like little fakes, so I was wondering are they like snakes and shed? Can I buy him some tortoise lotion or something? Or do they even have any tortoise lotions? lol.

miss_kristyn said:
Zayco's head is peeling. It is just like little fakes, so I was wondering are they like snakes and shed? Can I buy him some tortoise lotion or something? Or do they even have any tortoise lotions? lol. Also what is a good humidity range for tortoise to be at?

TKCARDANDCOIN

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ohio
Tetra makes a great product called vitashell, although some will disagree.If applied in small amounts like with a q tip to the dry area it will help moisten the skin.I quess a little mineral oil would do the same thing and its cheaper.Just stay away from the eyes.

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
Or, to avoid putting any unnatural substances on your tortoise, up her soakings. Hydrating her the normal way, will also hydrate her skin to some extent.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Its quite normal for baby desert-type tortoises' skin to peel. The Gopherus agassizii is the worst for this, but Sulcata babies peel too. Don't worry about it. Just don't pull it off, let it shed on its own. Like Meg90 said, soak him more to help it slough off on its own.

YVonne

miss_kristyn

5 Year Member
Texas
Thank you for the advice. I have been soaking him weekly. I was doing more on a daily basis but I have been very busy. But I will soak him more daily again. I do condition his shell every once in a great while. Not very much due to I have read many debates on it. But I am not going to debate with anyone on it so yeah.... :p

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
My little guy is peeling so bad around his neck he looks rather silly (the peeling bits cover his face if he retracts into his shell). The soaks help a bit but the skin is not ready to come off yet...I'm just letting nature take it's course.

Status
Not open for further replies.