Peeling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adarsta86

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Maine/New Jersey/Vermont
Okay, I know peeling is a pretty normal thing, especially when Torts are stressed. I haven't been thinking too much of Raspy and his peeling problem, but in the last week (our move back up to Maine from NJ) I've noticed he's peeling much worse. He even has developed a small dark brown spot on the soft part of his neck. It looks sort of like a bruise, but it doesn't seem to bother him. I took him to a vet, not about the peeling but just as a general check up since he was WC, and she said everything looked fine. His fecal came back clean too. Any ideas? Or am I overreacting a little bit?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Peeling is normal, however, being too dry can be one of the causes of it. What kind of substrate do you use, and can you moisten it?

Adarsta86

5 Year Member
Maine/New Jersey/Vermont
We use a 60/40 ratio of top soil and play sand, as well as some cedar bedding. It gets moistened with a spray bottle daily, and I mix water in it once or twice a week for humidity purposes. Raspy gets a soak 2-3 times a week.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
At some stages of the growth process and if there is a lack of humidity, you might see increased peeling. You can soak more often if you want, but never pick at it. Even with changes in temperature you can see humidity changes. But, peeling is very natural, especially around the head and neck. If you wanted to take a photo of the spot on his neck we'd be glad to look at it, but from what you said I'm not worried.

Status
Not open for further replies.