Peeked around the corner....

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Ahhh yes ....remember 2 days back I said " Queen Liz will be laying next" ...well I might as well put a sign here in the corner "Dump Eggs Here":rolleyes: as this is the exact same spot another tort laid last night ....:oops:

JD~;)

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Would they damage the already laid eggs?
I pull them right away .......but interesting theory " in the wild " .
#a - would you see the same pattern?
#b - yes they would break .....matter of fact there many of times females' break their own eggs while covering up the nest.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
That's because you have them faked out with the leafy art work. They think they are really well hidden in the forest. Haha, but not from the stalker with the camera:p:D
you mean more like " scribbles' ... v^v^v^o_O:p

littleginsu

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Sierra Vista, AZ
Do you think they might purposely do it in the wild, to further their genetic line, like some other animals do?

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Do you think they might purposely do it in the wild, to further their genetic line, like some other animals do?
Do you mean purposely destroying another females eggs? ......No ...just the contrary...they usually choose a "ideal" spot based on their own instincts of the best soil to dig ...dampness,hours of sunlight on that spot (aka temp monitoring) as well as being stealth with some coverage so when the neo-nates hatch .....they have a place to hide .

So I would say more of a coincidence and "ideal spot locations". Although ..... I will not throw out the account of possibly a release of a pheromone that could be detected by other females as a nesting area.

littleginsu

10 Year Member!
Sierra Vista, AZ
Whew! Kind spirited tortoise stereotype remains intact!

Have you noticed or experienced younger or first time moms nesting near more experienced moms' nests or is it pretty much 100% innate instinct?

naturalman91

10 Year Member!
Medford Oregon
have you ever seen a female move nest? like say lay 2 eggs in this nest then go dig another nest and lay some more?

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
have you ever seen a female move nest? like say lay 2 eggs in this nest then go dig another nest and lay some more?
No .... I have not - They will how ever "fake nest" quite often....digging a nest and then walk away , to resume the next day most often at a new location.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Whew! Kind spirited tortoise stereotype remains intact!

Have you noticed or experienced younger or first time moms nesting near more experienced moms' nests or is it pretty much 100% innate instinct?
Definitely..... age , maturity and experience plays a role in the Redfoot world. Along with viability of eggs, size of clutches and routine times between nesting. The latter and older Females = more productive and positive outcomes.