Pea tip leaves?

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Palm Bay Fl
My wife says she sees pea tip leaves at the produce store. Are they ok to feed to sullies? I don't feed Opo much store produce but the favorite weeds outside have died and just trying to give a assortment of greens

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I imagine it would be ok as part of a varied diet. I've given my tortoises actual peas occasionally, and they never eat them, picking around and leaving the peas.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Hhhmmmmm - Tortoise Table red flags pea shoots. Interferes with calcium absorption..

• Common Name: Pea (Pea Shoots, Pea Sprouts, Mangetout, Snow Pea, Snap Pea)
  • Latin Name: Pisum sativum
  • Family Name: Fabaceae/Leguminosae
Peas, like other legumes, are not good for tortoises. They are very high in protein and contain high levels of phytic acid. Phytic acid, which is present in the coating of seeds and nuts and is the principle storage form for phosphorous, has an effect similar to that of oxalic acid, in that it prevents the body from absorbing calcium. This, in turn, can lead to your tortoise suffering from kidney stones and other problems, so although Peas and Pea Shoots are not actually toxic, they should not form part of your tortoise's diet.

Flowers of the Pea plant range in colour from white through to pink, lavender and purple. The immature pods of the peas are called Mangetout (often written as Mange Tout or Mange-tout).

Like Yvonne says... a handful now and then, but i wouldnt go out of my way to get and feed.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Thanks for the quick comments. Headed to the store right now

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
I can’t agree with the Tortoise Table on this one; my sense is they are speaking to a concern that tortoises should not be fed animal protein. It’s not so long ago that care sheets recommended feeding dog food and the like; there is a reason they mention it. But I think that reason is out of date, at least on this forum we know better than to feed that kind of thing. Tortoises do need some protein in their diet but it needs to be plant protein, which legumes can provide.

Clover is also a legume. For this plant the Tortoise Table gives an entirely different explanation of what legumes can do/provide, but allows them in moderation. Methi/fenugreek is another legume this forum suggests as a good food. When the advice is totally inconsistent, I go with my own knowledge, such as it is. It’s not that a single plant is entirely “good” or “bad.” What matters is that we feed the most varied diet we can.

I don’t feed a ton of protein but I do intentionally give my Russian a green bean on occasion or a pea pod. If I’m picking up some salad greens for myself, I may throw a small handful of pea leaves into the bag for her. She gets methi now and again as well. She never sas no to green beans or peas but I notice that she eats pea and methi leaves mostly in the spring and leaves them alone after that. I figure her body knows what it needs in different seasons.

Tl;dr I think pea leaves are okay. :)