Sweet pea leaves?

Darthmaulsmom

Location (City and/or State)
Chesapeake
So today I went to stock up on my tortoises greens and grabbed what I thought was my usual container for him. I get home and realize it has sweet pea leaves in it. Something I’ve never fed him. I went to the ol’ google and I’m getting mixed answers on if it’s toxic or not. Would love some insight!

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Do you mean pea leaves/shoots from the grocery store? They look pretty much the same as sweet peas but what we find in the grocery store are usually just the shoots of “regular“ peas. People stir fry them or very lightly steam them or something fancy classy!

They are fine. If you read warnings they are “too high in protein,” they aren’t. That’s a holdover mindset from the time we were learning animal protein is not good for tortoises (unless you own redfoots or something that eats animal protein in the wild).

All plants have some protein; peas are legumes, and like all legumes, relatively high in plant protein. Tortoises need protein, too! So legumes in moderation are fine.

The inconsistent guidance about plants in the legumes family frustrates me. Clovers are legumes but we don’t read that they have too much protein! o_O

Darthmaulsmom

Chesapeake
Do you mean pea leaves/shoots from the grocery store? They look pretty much the same as sweet peas but what we find in the grocery store are usually just the shoots of “regular“ peas. People stir fry them or very lightly steam them or something fancy classy!

They are fine. If you read warnings they are “too high in protein,” they aren’t. That’s a holdover mindset from the time we were learning animal protein is not good for tortoises (unless you own redfoots or something that eats animal protein in the wild).

All plants have some protein; peas are legumes, and like all legumes, relatively high in plant protein. Tortoises need protein, too! So legumes in moderation are fine.

The inconsistent guidance about plants in the legumes family frustrates me. Clovers are legumes but we don’t read that they have too much protein! o_O

Yes but the container specifically said sweet peas so I got worried. I do own a redfoot actually haha. I ended up just eating them myself though and tomorrow I’ll get his normal package that I buy haha. Perks of having the same diet as my tortoise.