past co worker found a pancake tortoise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Melly-n-shorty

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Phoenix Arizona
I am friends with a past co worker on Facebook, a little bit ago she posted this photo.

9380_4753000978148_1475905421_n_zpsad2e5d58.jpg~original

she posted that it spent last spring and summer in her back yard and that it was back this year... I dont think they are doing anything to care for it, just letting it be. Can it survive in Arizona without added care? Is it a pancake tortoise? So far she hasn't responded to my email (its been a couple months) asking if she is going to care for it or find it a home. This is the second year it has been in her back yard.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes it is a Pancake and they aren't native to Arizona. So, someone lost it. They should try to either find its owner, take proper care of it or rehome it.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
The pancake is a great climber , digger, and fast when it wants to be . And mine are happy in AZ . My boy lived under my shed for a month I put cacutis pads and water every day til my wife got it and put it back with its girl freind .

Melly-n-shorty

5 Year Member
Phoenix Arizona
I agree, problem is that I dont even work with her anymore so I have almost no pull. they just bought the house in the last 2 years so its also possible it was left by the past home owners. the little guy is a survivor so far.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It is possible that it will survive out there. Depends on its ability to find food, water and shelter. Personally my biggest concern is a non-native animal running around loose like that.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Maybe use what Tom said about the dangers of a non native species running loose. The damage or disease it could bring to other native species of all kinds. Maybe that would convince them to do something with it.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
That would be awesome to find in your backyard. Seems it's doing okay for itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.