Pairs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hey.jonb

5 Year Member
I lost one of my tortoises to a repiratory infection late this morning. He was a rescue from a young lady who couldn't take care of him a few years back, and he had it good at our place. The loss this morning was obviously quite devastating, but I did manage to spend the final hour of my tortoises life with him. Amazingly enough, so did his partner. I've read the forum long enough to know the thoughts on pairing, but I always felt my two guys were best of friends. At least that's the act they put on for me each and every day. I'll also mention that these two guys come from different breeds as well.

As my tortoise passed away, his friend had pulled up and rested there with him, nose to nose, the entire time. Then his comforting turned into hours, then it went past dinner, now it's midway through the night, and when my guys would usually retreat to their separate hide-aways in the evening, they are both still sitting out in the open right now, with the younger fellow sleeping with his head fully out of his shell, extended towards his buddy, as an offering of comfort I imagine, and to let him know he's there looking after him in what he thinks is a time of need. He hasn't left him even for a second.

It's been heartbreaking to see, so much so that I couldn't allow myself to bury my tortoise, because I couldn't bear the sadness of pulling his best friend away from him while resting right in front of him. I will have to lay him down tomorrow morning, but I felt the need to share this with the forum folks here, and I wanted to offer a picture of how they bedded down tonight for those who are interested in better understanding the companionship I'm talking about here. Thanks for reading, and good health to all of you and your four-legged friends in 2013.
best friend.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi hey.jonb, and welcome to the Forum!

I'm terribly sorry that this has happened. It's very hard to go through something like this.

I appreciate that your tortoises seemed to get along and share an affection for one another. You must understand that this is NOT the norm.

It's hard for me to tell what type tortoise the darker one is. Is that a desert tortoise?

I had a family turn in an older desert tortoise to my rescue a couple years ago. They had gotten a sulcata (they put them in the same yard together), and the sulcata wouldn't leave the desert tortoise alone..kept trying to tip him over. So they gave the desert tortoise to me. The desert tortoise had a terrible respiratory infection that he got from being in the same pen with a tortoise from a different continent. It took a very long time to get him back to good health.

We're happy to have you here with us on the Forum.

laney

5 Year Member
Aberdeen, Scotland
Sorry you lost your tort, glad he had his buddy there with him <3 is his health ok?

Xx

danosaurous

5 Year Member
Rhode Island
I'm so sorry to hear about your loss :( I would like to think that mine are the same way. I rescued a sulcata and she never came out of her shell, quite literally. After quarantine and everything I introduced her to Zippy one of my Redfoot. She was instantly a changed tort! She now allows me to touch her and she doesn't retreat and the two seem to absolutely adore each other. I hope your remaining tort thrives and remains healthy!

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Sorry for your loss. I did notice in the photograph the aspen or pine shavings. This substrate can be a large breeding ground for mold spores whether present human eyes or not when water is added. This can cause a larger burden on respiratory infections and extenuate the infection to a worsen degree or harsher illness. I would recommend changing the substrate to a mulch or coconut coir and make sure you keep your temps sustained above 80. Again sorry for your loss, his friend will be remembered.

LuckysGirl007

5 Year Member
Surprise, AZ
Your story brought tears to my eyes...and then the picture! I'm so very sorry for your loss! I hope you other little is doing well. That's the sweetest and saddest thing I have seen in a long time. <3

Status
Not open for further replies.