Overgrown scales on Sulcata leg?

Crocgirl

Location (City and/or State)
Paignton
Hi all; wondered if anyone has seen this before? And if it’s anything to be worried about!303A4B29-493B-40E0-A2D3-54153F38CECC.jpeg

Attachments

• 6D0877F2-0CD3-4145-BF54-AE2455400CCC.jpeg
    6D0877F2-0CD3-4145-BF54-AE2455400CCC.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 3
  • ACD0C00C-378D-4C54-B119-78E5849571DC.jpeg
    ACD0C00C-378D-4C54-B119-78E5849571DC.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 3
  • 7AD81830-28B6-4B6C-AE8D-2C7A44BD5A13.jpeg
    7AD81830-28B6-4B6C-AE8D-2C7A44BD5A13.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 3

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Trying to get some expert help...hang on!

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
The first pic almost looks like a keratin overgrowth. Have you taken it to a vet to have them look at it? With a guy that size you may need a mobile vet

Welcome to the forum, by the way. Thank you for joining. Sorry everyone's just tagging people like it's a spectacle. I hope your guy isn't in any pain and you guys can find out what happened to him.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Actually we tagged people that has many more years and species experience, that maybe they would know what is going on.
Yvonne is/was a rehabber for many years, so issues like this she may have come across. Only motive was to get help not to make it a spectacle.

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
Ah that makes sense. I was worried a new member would get the wrong impression

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Ah that makes sense. I was worried a new member would get the wrong impression
Always the motive when we, most of us, if not all of us just tag, is to get the most experience member to the thread that can best help.

zovick

10 Year Member!
Hi all; wondered if anyone has seen this before? And if it’s anything to be worried about!View attachment 370031
The foot in the first photo looks as though it may have an abscess or possibly even a cancerous lesion. I would recommend having this tortoise checked by a good exotics vet because if it is either of the things I mentioned, they will need to be removed before causing further damage/trauma to the animal.

Crocgirl

Paignton
The first pic almost looks like a keratin overgrowth. Have you taken it to a vet to have them look at it? With a guy that size you may need a mobile vet

Welcome to the forum, by the way. Thank you for joining. Sorry everyone's just tagging people like it's a spectacle. I hope your guy isn't in any pain and you guys can find out what happened to him.
Hi Josh! Thank you for your response! I did think it may have been but it just seems quite extreme. Keratin on the shell seems to not be as strong or prevalent yet the scales on the leg seem to be overgrown…

Thank you! I hope the vet can help!

Crocgirl

Paignton
The foot in the first photo looks as though it may have an abscess or possibly even a cancerous lesion. I would recommend having this tortoise checked by a good exotics vet because if it is either of the things I mentioned, they will need to be removed before causing further damage/trauma to the animal.

Crocgirl

Paignton
Hey! Thank you. Is there anything to note from the photo that is an indication of what you’ve suggested? Just so I can pass it on?

Many thanks again!

Crocgirl

Paignton
Actually we tagged people that has many more years and species experience, that maybe they would know what is going on.
Yvonne is/was a rehabber for many years, so issues like this she may have come across. Only motive was to get help not to make it a spectacle.
It’s all ok! It’s very appreciated ☺️

Crocgirl

Paignton

Also! Thank you for you kindness with the welcome. And I appreciate the concern too! Mainly just happy people who know what they’re looking at can help - as I’ve never seen it before and I’m also like “whaaat”

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
This really looks like it needs an experienced reptile vet. Please do let us know what you are doing, keep us updated! And thanks for coming here for help!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Google Hyperkeratosis in dogs
What is going on with your sulcata reminds me of a condition my bull terrier had on a toe pad. The vet didn't seem to have a clue what it was. It would come and go but most of the time was there.