Tortoise seems to have itchy leg

Location (City and/or State)
northern ireland
My tortoise seems to be rubbing his leg on his shell, I’ve seen him do it maybe 2 or 4 times. I don’t know if it’s normal or not but it’s almost as if he has an itchy leg and is trying to scratch it on his shell. I don’t know if it’s anything to do with his substrate, but he’s not on sand or anything that could be making this happen, but he’s on orchid bark so it leads me to believe it’s not the substrate. Could anyone tell me what he is trying to do? Honestly, it could be me just being paranoid but better safe than sorry ?‍♀️

Last edited:

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
What is it doing to make you think there is an itchy leg? Try soaking in shallow clean warm 35deg C water for 30 mins and then observe if that helps?

northern ireland
What is it doing to make you think there is an itchy leg? Try soaking in shallow clean warm 35deg C water for 30 mins and then observe if that helps?
He sort of pulls his leg against his shell, it’s really hard to explain honestly. I also give him a soak every day.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Could you be misinterpreting the action? Could he be scraping the substrate and flinging it over his back?

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Ok good your soaking. Maybe there is something living in the substrate replace substrate and deep clean and replenish new. You could try inspecting the leg to see if it is rubbing on the shell, previous posts have had shell rub. Also check temperatures and try giving him a slate to lie on under the heat. They like to stretch out. Just suggestions. Others may have ideas.

northern ireland
Ok good your soaking. Maybe there is something living in the substrate replace substrate and deep clean and replenish new. You could try inspecting the leg to see if it is rubbing on the shell, previous posts have had shell rub. Also check temperatures and try giving him a slate to lie on under the heat. They like to stretch out. Just suggestions. Others may have ideas.
Thanks for the advice. I don’t think it’s anything to do with the substrate as i recently changed his substrate and it’s a completely different one now and he was doing it before it was changed. Also his temps are normal.

Last edited: