*Overdue update*

Five-sprout

5 Year Member
Hey fellow tort lovers, I wanted to do an update on my sulcata. you probably might not remember but I found him/her pulling weeds about 2 years ago now.. And after following toms care sheet religiously this is where I've arrived..

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1463969496.408256.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1463969512.556211.jpg

He/she's grown quite a bit.. But I couldn't quite work out all the pyramiding.. Here's "maneö" when I still first got him/her for reference.

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1463969645.557324.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1463969669.674485.jpg

I've been feeding him tons of grass varieties, dandelions, clovers, grape leaves, plantain, milkweed and other weeds that grow in unkempt places. He digs all of it but I try to make the majority of what I offer grasses.

I just put together his new outdoor den earlier this week but I'm already disappointed in its size. So it's gettin an upgrade in the next couple days.

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1463969901.907578.jpg

You can see where it's boarded off because I have testudo mix germinating and maneö really likes trampling it before eating anything.
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1463969983.059049.jpg
See him soaking?
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1463970021.023116.jpg

Couple real quick questions..

Can anyone ID this weed? It's growing rampant all over my yard but I can't figure what it is? I hope this pictures good enough.. Didn't realize I shouldn't have snapped it with a green background..
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1463970107.523630.jpg

And also.. I have a lot of this stuff too but I'm scared to feed it because of the needles all over.. Anyone have any experience with this? Like is it gonna be hard on my sullys gut or is it something I shouldn't worry about? Cause hes ate it a couple times but I've never noticed any ill effects?ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1463970259.407718.jpg

samsmom

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
CedarCreekLake, Texas
wow! i cant believe you found a sulcata in your yard. i dont know about the plants but i do know your tort is beautiful!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You did a great job. The little bit of pyramiding is from before you found him. As he grows even larger, you probably won't even notice it.

fanofthedog

5 Year Member
I dont even notice pyramiding. I think that sometimes they are just a little more bumpy. My guy came with some pyramiding. Its just how it is. We do the very best we can for them. I love that you are "all in" and have the greatest enclosure and are growing mixes for him to eat. Im inspired by you and a going o go to Home Depot and get some cinder blocks so I can block off an area and grow new stuff for my guy!!!

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
The first weed is some kind of Morning Glory vine. I don't think it's good for the tort, the other one should be ok to feed but I Have never had the guts to give prickly stuff tomy babies either. Maybe should give it a veryfine chop??? I'll let other keepers chime in.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
He looks fantastic. That is not pyramiding. You've done a great job.

I don't know the first weed, but see the little yellow trumpet shaped flowers in the blurry background? That is oxalis. Do not feed. Many people mistake it for a type of clover. I did.

The second spiny weed is good tortoise food. I always confuse the names, but that is a good one and I feed it to none all the time. I think its sow thistle, but I could be wrong. I get poked by it all the time, so I'm sure that I am familiar with it, and it is okay to feed.

He's definitely going to need more room. :)

TeguBuzz

5 Year Member
Texas
Great progress. Keep doing what you're doing, glad this guy ended up in your care.