Over Wintering a sleepy Greek

Status
Not open for further replies.

tk1

5 Year Member
Hi there,

I'm based in Cyprus and just yesterday came into possession of a couple of 2 year old greeks that were woken up after about a months hibernation. After doing a bit of research I've decided to over winter them. Kiwi, the larger, seemingly stronger and more boisterous of the two, is up and about, exploring every inch of my living room. Rose, the smaller one, is less enthusiastic and is firmly set on hibernating. She keeps burrowing into the soil or creeps under the rocks in the enclosure and goes back to sleep. She's been doing this all day and I'm not sure what to do. As it's 6 in the evening here I guess I should just let her go to sleep. I still do not have a light up for them but will definitely have one up by tomorrow. If anyone could offer some input on this it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Tony

MatrixDJ

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas, NV
Can you explain your husbandry to us? Size of the table, substrate, temps, diet, soaking, etc...

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
You are trying to kid them it's summer, so get the lights up to a 'normal' day length of 12-14 hours ... UVB is essential. You also need to get the temps up to the high 20s by day with about 35C under the basking light.

A daily 20 minute soak in shallow luke warm water to ensure they stay hydrated while coming round from hibernation is also essential.

webskipper

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
AZ
So when will Spring be? If you start cooling them then they should hibernate. Below 50F they won't need nourishment.

Status
Not open for further replies.