over feeding tortoise?

brenM

I have put live grasses in my leopard tortoise indoor table. I have concerns that they may over eat with so much readily available. Should I keep the habitat plants or not have any?

MPRC

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Oregon
I believe that if you are offering a healthy diet then over eating isn't really an issue. I believe the issues arise when you offer too much junk.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
If they are just grazing the risk of being overweight is slim to none. They tend to get over weight with no exercise and lots of high-calorie junk food.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
There is no reason your tortoise can't eat as much grass as it wants.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Don't worry about the amount of food he eats...worry instead about the amount of exercise he gets. Lack of exercise (living in an enclosure that's too small) is what leads to an overweight tortoise, not eating too much.

brenM

If they are just grazing the risk of being overweight is slim to none. They tend to get over weight with no exercise and lots of high-calorie junk food.

What's would you consider junk food for these animals?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I can't answer for David, but I can share my thoughts:

These tortoises should be eating mostly weeds and leaves with a high fiber content and a high calcium to phosphorous ratio. Wild studies show a fairly large percentage of succulents too, of which there are thousands of species in some parts of the range, and some grass too.

Mazuri tortoise chow is also a good way to supplement their diet and make sure their are no nutritional gaps.

The above is what I would consider "not junk". I would consider a diet high in typical grocery store greens, fruit, and pet store type prepared diets to be "junk".

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I would consider fruits and vegetables mainly as junk food. One thing people need to take in consideration if your tortoise was in the wild they would be spending most of the day foraging for food & shelter patrolling a territory usuallyseveral square miles. When they're in captivity their activity level is reduced greatly. they no longer spend most of their day foraging for food and shelter avoiding predators and patrolling their vast vast territories.