Outside Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

goReptiles

10 Year Member!
I'm trying to figure out a way to give Domino more outside time. I can't leave him in the pen because it doesn't have a lid and there are small holes he can slip out of.

I am thinking about setting up a cage for him. I used to use it as a quarantine cage for my chinchillas. It just has a blue plastic base and the wire lid. It has shelves, but there's no need for Domino to have the ramps and shelves. I may leave one shelf in there for shade, but take out the ramp so he doesn't try to climb on it... (Unless I can get it low enough not to be too steep.)

Anyway, how long is ok for him to be outside? I usually do 30 minutes a day, but I'd like to let him get more outside time without worry he'll get toted off by a bird or animal.

My Russians get all day outside time during nice weather, but I'm not sure if that's ok for the red foot as well.

If I'm about to do all day, would the UV lighting still be necessary? (I may just get it for days he's inside.)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Your cage sounds fine to me. I wouldn't do all day for a small one. I like to do an hour or two. Just make sure at least half the cage is in full shade at all times. Let the tortoise choose to be in shade or not. I'd use some hides in there too since some redfoots like to avoid being exposed.

I don't use UV bulbs for any of my tortoises because they all get regular sun. Occasionally, if they don't get sun for a couple of weeks in the winter time, I'll pop a Trex Active UV heat Bulb up, but I remove it as soon as the cold spell passes.

goReptiles

10 Year Member!
Thanks.

I will definitely add a hide plus the one level for shade.

I was worried about leaving him out all day, but I can definitely do a few hours after work then. The sun is still out for a while. I just can't spend a few hours a day outside watching him.

Should I worry about the doors, as if a bird really wanted to break in, I'm sure that it could. Birds are pretty smart, but we only have sparrows, finches, and mocking birds around the house. Nothing too big.

Status
Not open for further replies.