Outside time went wrong

asampson760

Location (City and/or State)
Morongo Valley
I just took my little sulcata outside to his new outdoor enclosure for a little bit of sun time. It was cooler this morning (in the 70's) so I decided to wait until this afternoon to take him out. His enclosure is in full sun but there are 2 hide spots for him to get shade as well as 2 water saucers. There's only sandy dirt in my yard, we live in the desert, so that's what is in his enclosure. There are no plants as of yet besides some potted succulents that he cannot reach. Anyway, I think it was too hot for him this afternoon. Temp outside right now is 87, but I think the ground was too hot for him - is that possible?

I took him outside and went to check on him after about 10 minutes. I found him in one of the hides with bubbly saliva all over his mouth. I picked him up to look at him then put him back down and he started to move SO quickly, he seemed distressed. I brought him back inside and he promptly went into his humid hide.

Will he be okay?? Did he start to overheat? Should I take him out in the morning even though temps are only in the 70's? Should I do a soak with him now if he needs to cool off or just leave him alone? :(

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Bubbly saliva is a sign of overheating.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
how big is your "little sulcata"? A baby or even 4" sulcata can overheat very quickly in the sun on the ground. At this point all you can do is soak in lukewarm water to ensure it is rehydrated as much as possible. Then monitor. Bubbling at the mouth and eyes is certainly a sign of overheating.

Young tortoise do not do better outdoors despite all you hear about "nothing beats natural sunshine". Baby tortoises hide from the sun and rarely are out in the open. They find places to hide and stay that are protected. PLants or soil touching their entire shell for protection and to help protect from desiccation. Until your sulcata is 8", I would keep indorrs and put outside for very brief periods only.

asampson760

Morongo Valley
how big is your "little sulcata"? A baby or even 4" sulcata can overheat very quickly in the sun on the ground. At this point all you can do is soak in lukewarm water to ensure it is rehydrated as much as possible. Then monitor. Bubbling at the mouth and eyes is certainly a sign of overheating.

Young tortoise do not do better outdoors despite all you hear about "nothing beats natural sunshine". Baby tortoises hide from the sun and rarely are out in the open. They find places to hide and stay that are protected. PLants or soil touching their entire shell for protection and to help protect from desiccation. Until your sulcata is 8", I would keep indorrs and put outside for very brief periods only.
I was told he is a year old, but he's pretty small and probably is only around 4-5". My plan was to only put him outside for an hour today, I know he is too small right now to live outside full time. He is not bubbling at the mouth anymore and is sleeping in his hide.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Get yourself a point and shoot temp gun. Temp the ground before putting him outside. When it's that hot either keep him inside or put him in the shade.
Those temps of 87 shouldn't be too hot but it is if they never move out of it.

asampson760

Morongo Valley
Get yourself a point and shoot temp gun. Temp the ground before putting him outside. When it's that hot either keep him inside or put him in the shade.
Those temps of 87 shouldn't be too hot but it is if they never move out of it.
I ordered a point and shoot temp gun, will be here tomorrow. I think I'll try putting him outside tomorrow morning. If it's in the high 70's - low 80's is that temperature okay for him to be outside in for an hour?

Canadian Mojo

Ontario
I ordered a point and shoot temp gun, will be here tomorrow. I think I'll try putting him outside tomorrow morning. If it's in the high 70's - low 80's is that temperature okay for him to be outside in for an hour?
Depends. If it's sunny even at lower temperatures he could possibly overheat. If it's cloudy he should stay at around the air/ground temperature.

I have a redfoot, not a sully, so I can't really how quickly he would overheat in the sun, but it doesn't take long for my dark shelled guy to get hot and go looking for shade.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
70's is too low. If it was 79/80 those are okay. Put him in the shade and let him walk out into the sun if he wants But don't leave him out long if temps go above 85 without putting him in the shade. 1/2 hour to an hour tops.
However, I'd wait a day or two at least, seeing he just went thru over heating.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
His enclosure is in full sun but there are 2 hide spots for him to get shade as well as 2 water saucers.
The above quote is your problem. Full sun is no good. You need heavy shade from high over head, like a tree, umbrella, or building. Shrubs and bushes can work too. A hide sitting in the sun will get too hot as you've just seen.

asampson760

Morongo Valley
The above quote is your problem. Full sun is no good. You need heavy shade from high over head, like a tree, umbrella, or building. Shrubs and bushes can work too. A hide sitting in the sun will get too hot as you've just seen.
Thanks Tom! I can move his enclosure under some trees where it will be mostly shaded. I’m assuming he’ll still get the benefits of the UV? Also wondering your input on the temperature, if he’s in the shade should it be over 80 outside?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes if you can move the enclosure under trees please do. They will still get the benefits from the sun. Even on cloudy days the benefits of the sun is still there. Sorry, I didnt realize the hides you mentioned weren't actual trees or bushes., I missed on that. When you do move it put the hides under the tree too in the most shaded area.